Major Mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkcook

Reaction score
I learn a valuable lesson this morning. I decided to make a go at a gallon of Ancient Blueberry and Spice mead. Got everything cleaned with a fresh gallon of k-meta I made up in a plastic water jug. Heated the honey and put it in the glass 1 gallon jug along with the spices. Added two cans of Oregon Blueberries. I took another sanitized 1 gallon jug and ran upstairs and filled it with filtered water. Topped the fruit mixturewith water to about 1/2 and decided to add the bread yeast then finish topping it off. Put in the yeast and before I realized what I had done, I topped the jug off with 1/4 of a gallon of K-Meta solution.
smiley7.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley18.gif
Confucius say, "Put K-Meta solution out of reach when mixing ingredients for wine or mead!" Confucius also say, "Keep mind on task at hand to make good wine or mead!"
smiley36.gif

I most likely could have saved the fruit and tried again later, but I used all the honey I had and decided to dump the whole thing.

pkcook, I know exactly what your going through. So, excited to start a fresh batch of wine. Trying to make sure you have everything in order so as not to make any mistakes, and Wham! You've gone and done it! Sorry to hear of your mishap, just remember your not alone. We'veall had our mishaps, and I'm sure we will still have more!
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley7.gif

That bites the big 1. Thats why I drew a big skull and
cross bones with a permenanty marker on the jug with K-Meta in it so
that I dont make that very mistake as I almost did 2 months ago. I had
it in my hand right next to the water and almost did it before I
realized and had to take a whiff to determine 1 from another.

The K-Meta could've been glowing purple and I'd have dumped it in. My focus was elsewhere and it happened. I laugh about it now, but I'm out about 12-15 bucks on this 1 gallon batch with the honey and the fruit. I'm having a nice "strong" glass of chard to help ease the frustration
smiley8.gif

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I know this won't be the last mistake I make. You just have to laugh!

I know how it feels pk....oily bananas will give you that same feeling
smiley9.gif
Edited by: Waldo

pk, I feel your pain... Drink up, and you will soon forget all about it.

Sorry to hear of you lose.
smiley19.gif
My deepest sympathy. And people wonder how their keys end up in the freezer.

PWP, you are so right! I got in a hurry because the kids wanted to take our dog to the "Bark Park" for an afternoon of running and playing and my head wasn't in the game. I'm just glad I caught what I did or else I'd have been trying every yeast starter I could think of to get this doomed batch to ferment
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back