Other Looking for favorite Reisling *KIT* for the lovers of sweetness...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phat

Phacilitator of Basement Phermentation.
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the deal.. I never make anything myself that isn't pretty much dry. I'm just not a fan of sweet wine, and neither is my better half. Since I know we won't drink it, I just don't make it. (I'm sweet enough already... I like my wine like my women, red, mature and well rounded... etc. etc..)

A member of the family likes sweet stuff.. I've occasionally fed them what I know to be decent bottles of real commercial reislings that I have purchased - a good 20 to 25 dollar bottle, and they've really enjoyed them. We're not talking orchard mist koolaid or cheap libfraumilch, but good stuff. I'm contemplating making something for a christmas present.

Where I live I can get all the "major" kit vendors between a couple of LHBS's - I unfortunately can't really get anything other than kits - but Wine Expert, all the Vineco brands, and all the RJS stuff is regularly available.

Those of you that like the sweeter style whites - What kits have you had your best success with? Got some suggestions for me?

Either the CC Showcase Yakima Valley Riesling or the WE Eclipse Columbia Valley Riesling. Both have a flavor reserve pack that you can add as much or as little as you like.

CC Showcase is 16 Lt. and Eclipse is 18 Lt. trying to pull the trigger on a Riesling kit this week and still can't decide. 2012 winemaker competition results have a couple of WE International Selection Rieslings that received Gold and Silver medals. That's swayed me to go with the Eclipse. Plus, my only personal comparison is I've made the CC Showcase WA Gerwtz and thought the RJS Cru Select German Gerwtz was much better.
Maybe the German varietals are better than Washington, I dont' know.

I've made the Eclipse and also the CC Late Harvest Riesling Washington Reserve (not the showcase). The CC turned out quite a bit sweeter than the Eclipse but the CC is much, much better. I only make Rieslings once a year to give away as gifts around the holidays. I'm not a fan of sweet wines either, but the CC is wonderful. If I were making it for myself, and not as gifts, I would only use 1/4 to 1/2 of the flavor reserve. Oh, and the CC costs about 40% less than the Eclipse.

Shaun, does that CC Late Harvest Riesling need much age on it to be drinkable?

I started out adding the whole flavour reserve pack on my first CC Showcase kits (white) that came with one. Now adding only 1/2 and may ultimately cut it down to 1/3. The balance gets added up front to the must. Only like a touch of sweetness. YMMV.

Riesling put Washington on the grape map. It is not the juice, it is how you make the wine. I feel sorry for you not being able to get kits with Chelan Riesling juice. I believe it is the best .

Tom,
My wife keeps telling me to bottle the Riesling now because it's ready to go. At 72 days, it really is ready to drink, but I have made so much wine in the last year that I can afford to be patient. I don't know if it will get better or not, but I can wait a few more weeks.

Riesling is a very early drinker. Almost ready right out of the secondary, so yes, at 72 days it is good to go!

I have an Eclipse Riesling that is two months old today. I think I will bottle it this weekend and start drinking it next month or June. I think it will be one of my summer drinkers. I also find the eclipse barely off-dry and pretty comparable to a commercial Washington State Riesling.

Riesling is a very early drinker. Almost ready right out of the secondary, so yes, at 72 days it is good to go!

Hmmm... I think you and my wife have me sold. I'll bottle this weekend. I'll tell her that it was her idea though.

Back