lees reuse?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
I have the mad idea to reuse the raisins from a higher end Amarone kit once it's done for a low end Merlot. Mad, I know, but I want to maximize the pack of raisins.

I know I could just skim them off the top and add to a new pot but, why, wouldn't I just pour the new batch over the lees of the old and get a good rolling fermentation out of the gate?

It worked well for the batch of SP I kick off of a Chardonnay.

Any downsides?

Dont see why not and its not such a mad idea if it was a normal fermentation with no complications. But what I do is bag the f pack in the first wine then just remove the bag and put it into the fermenter of the next wine less mess goodluck and leave us know
Cheers

Absolutely a fine idea Spikedlemon. As long as you're good with the yeast strain being the same, starting another batch on an established yeast colony is great. I'm not sure how much you're going to get out of the 2nd run raisins, but the whole plan seems splendid. No downsides I can see (and I've done the same thing many times...even with dissimilar wines).

I'm not sure, @noontime, how much I'll see out of the reused skins but I can't see it doing anything but improving the second kit (a 7L 'cheapy'). I'll also see if I can find the currants that Joe uses in his Fontana kits (though i've had no success at the local grocers so far).

Yeast is the ubiquitous EC1118 that comes stock with both kits.

I've done this several times with outstanding results. "Ripassa" style wines turn out great. I'm getting ready to start a Winery Series Super Tuscan and plan to use the lees to start a low end sangiovese or chianti. I predict excellent results.

Latest posts

Back