Least favorite part of winter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it takes me ten minutes to get all my cold weather gear on but then I can stay outside when it’s below zero. The other benefits of winter are no parasites crawling or flying around making us and our pets sick. Winter is really different when you’re retired because you don’t have to go anywhere unless you want to.

Yes, it takes me ten minutes to get all my cold weather gear on but then I can stay outside when it’s below zero. The other benefits of winter are no parasites crawling or flying around making us and our pets sick. Winter is really different when you’re retired because you don’t have to go anywhere unless you want to.
Yes. In the winter we don’t relax outdoors but it’s a great time to work. This winter I’m still working on my timber frame and cutting trees for my next one. Along with a few years worth of firewood. A second on the no mosquitos or ticks. I always joke that I can always wear more cloths in the cold but I can only take so many off in the heat before I start scaring people off.

Different strokes. I did my time up North, man. Never... EVER... again. I farm, so that's mostly outside work. Nothing like a nice shade tree in 95 degrees with a cooler of beer after a morning's work. What it works out as is that winter is the time for most Northerners to hibernate and summer is the time when most Southerners hibernate. I'm outside every day of every season.
Agreed! 11 years in MA and 8 years in NJ. Living in SC now and loving it. We moved down here one June and people asked about what we were going to plant for our winter crop in our garden. Winter crop?!! We now plant garlic, kale, cole crops, greens in October and harvest in February, just in time to get other plants ready.

😂 Ohhhh, this is good.

Northern USA doesn't even get colder than pleasant... unless of course you did a stint in Alaska. That's North!

The final winter in northern Illinois, there was 4 feet of snow on the ground and it was -40 degrees with a wind chill of -90 degrees. We commuted to work – my wife to the west and I to the east, 25 miles each through I don't know how many blizzards to get to work... I mean, snowstorms where a foot fell during the workday... WHEN the cars would start. Sometimes, it was too cold for them, even though they both had coolant block heaters installed. As a former auto bodyman, I also know full well what heavy use of road salt does to a vehicle and how it shortens its life.

I spent the first 25 years of my life up North, in northern Illinois, so I've definitely felt what deep below zero winters felt like. My childhood home in a typical winter. The top of that grill was about 4 feet high.

tbt15.jpg

My wife is originally from Connecticut and still has a photo of her father on a bulldozer on top of the 30-foot high pile of snow he dozed from their driveway to the farm.

Anyway, you northerners can have your macho swaggering about how much cold you can endure. I prefer our upcoming winter forecast to yours any time, any day of any year. I like to have a taste of all 4 seasons, but I'm thinking I'll sit on my porch and drink beer on New Year's Day.

Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 2.11.59 PM.png

Last edited:
The final winter in northern Illinois, there was 4 feet of snow on the ground and it was -40 degrees with a wind chill of -90 degrees. We commuted to work – my wife to the west and I to the east, 25 miles each through I don't know how many blizzards to get to work... I mean, snowstorms where a foot fell during the workday... WHEN the cars would start. Sometimes, it was too cold for them, even though they both had coolant block heaters installed. As a former auto bodyman, I also know full well what heavy use of road salt does to a vehicle and how it shortens its life.

I spent the first 25 years of my life up North, in northern Illinois, so I've definitely felt what deep below zero winters felt like. My childhood home in a typical winter. The top of that grill was about 4 feet high.

View attachment 96789

My wife is originally from Connecticut and still has a photo of her father on a bulldozer on top of the 30-foot high pile of snow he dozed from their driveway to the farm.

Anyway, you northerners can have your macho swaggering about how much cold you can endure. I prefer our upcoming winter forecast to yours any time, any day of any year. I like to have a taste of all 4 seasons, but I'm thinking I'll sit on my porch and drink beer on New Year's Day.

View attachment 96790
Like I said in my previous post living in Alberta is like living with a crazy lady. Last year we were in the high 60's at xmas. No snow on the ground. We had an outdoor gathering. Not the case this year.

Luckily for me I don't have a commute, I can leave when I want to, not 'cause I need to. It makes winter much easier to bear.

And don't get me wrong. I have a winter home planned for my (not too distant) future. :b

Here in Buffalo NY. I've been snowed in for days now. They just got a plow through our street and I started digging my car out. Woke up with an upper respiratory infection. Now I'm in bed sick till further notice. Just another Buffalo winter. But this weekend it's supposed to get up in the 50 degrees. Which means lots of flooded basements and backed up sewers.

Back