WineXpert LE 15 Barbara

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started mine on the 15th and reconstituted the yeast with wine yeast nutrients. Still bubbling away actively.

Modifications?

Not to go off-topic / hijack the thread, but I just got my kit in yesterday. I know the general consensus is to leave the LE kits alone and follow the instructions... but this is my first barbera, I'm great at second-guessing myself at every turn, and now I'm wondering if I should make a few modifications:
  1. Add raisins to primary for a little extra body.
  2. Swap the EC-1118 out in favor of BM4X4 (not experienced enough to know if this would actually need additional nutrient like BM45 would).
  3. Ferment at a slightly lower temperature (I've got a temperature controlled setup) to preserve more of the fruity characteristic. No clue on if/how this could affect the already-high acidity.
Any advice/suggestions? Or just skip all of the above and follow the instructions like I probably should? I'll probably be off trying to find effects of temperature on wine profiles... it has a huge effect on beer, but I'm clueless about wines (only a week into my 2nd wine kit). I've got plenty of time before I have room to start my barbera.

My opinion is to tweak away if that is what you want to do! Yes, as a LE kit, you will never get the chance to compare, but so what!? Of your three things, I personally would do #2 and skip #s 1 and 3. Butt that is me.

I got my kit, going to pitch 2/24 - to keep all kits in line with my racking schedule of every 3 months on the 24th-ish.

Picked up some BM 4x4. Used it on my first Forza kit, and am happy. I'm wondering if RC212 might be better. I think of Barbera as an Italian Pinot like wine.

I'm thinking adding extra oak chips in primary.

Any opinions?

Last edited:
Not to go off-topic / hijack the thread, but I just got my kit in yesterday. I know the general consensus is to leave the LE kits alone and follow the instructions... but this is my first barbera, I'm great at second-guessing myself at every turn, and now I'm wondering if I should make a few modifications:
  1. Add raisins to primary for a little extra body.
  2. Swap the EC-1118 out in favor of BM4X4 (not experienced enough to know if this would actually need additional nutrient like BM45 would).
  3. Ferment at a slightly lower temperature (I've got a temperature controlled setup) to preserve more of the fruity characteristic. No clue on if/how this could affect the already-high acidity.
Any advice/suggestions? Or just skip all of the above and follow the instructions like I probably should? I'll probably be off trying to find effects of temperature on wine profiles... it has a huge effect on beer, but I'm clueless about wines (only a week into my 2nd wine kit). I've got plenty of time before I have room to start my barbera.

If you do #2, you should plan on adding nutrients. BM 4x4 is a moderate nutrient requirer, and has moderate risk of H2S production. I typically add 2 tsp DAP after the first third of sugar is gone, 2 more after the second third. That's only 2/3 of the dose recommended on the DAP instructions (LD Carlson), but kits typically come with nutrients in them, tailored for the kit supplied yeast. If your kit had EC 1118, I've found the nutrients to be light for the BM 4x4.

I added the recommended Fermaid O dosages when I pitched BM 4x4 with the Forza. It went dry with no problems. Tastes fine.

If I had two kits, I'd try RC and the BM. I'm going to pitch the RC on my second Forza

I pitched my kit today. This is the first kit I've done without skins. Should I stir the juice during fermentation to keep the oak down? Or just leave it alone. Would it benefit the yeast to get some O2 in there?

I pitched my kit today. This is the first kit I've done without skins. Should I stir the juice during fermentation to keep the oak down? Or just leave it alone. Would it benefit the yeast to get some O2 in there?

Getting a little O2 in there wouldn't hurt. And the stirring will give you a head start on degassing.

Thanks. I had plenty of initial "cap" from the oak chips, plus added more. So I definitely stirred for a couple days

Pitched mine Dec. 19, and just racked and topped up for bulk aging. Added 50g of oak cubes and 3/4 tsp of tannin. Will rack again in 3 months, add k-meta and taste test.

Pitched mine Dec. 19, and just racked and topped up for bulk aging. Added 50g of oak cubes and 3/4 tsp of tannin. Will rack again in 3 months, add k-meta and taste test.

I'm starting the bulk aging of my LE Barbara over the weekend/early next week. What type of oak cubes are you using? I'm contemplating splitting into 2 x 3gal carboys with different oak in each. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I racked this weekend. It tastes similar to the Eclipse Nebbiolo I have going. I used RC-212

I'm starting the bulk aging of my LE Barbara over the weekend/early next week. What type of oak cubes are you using? I'm contemplating splitting into 2 x 3gal carboys with different oak in each. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I just used I believe 30g of medium toast American oak cubes. I want to be careful not to over-oak the wine. A good Barbera is usually pretty light on the oak. Going to rack again next month, and not use any more oak additions. About 3-6 more months until bottling time.

Just started ours this evening. A dash of extra oak chips and tannin FT Rouge. Didn't want to mess with this too much, other than extended schedule and aging...

Latest posts

Back