Kmeta/StarSan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLS

Reaction score
They said neither Kmeta (fumes sanitizer) or StarSan (contact sanitizer) have to be rinsed, but, Star San make a lot of bubbles, it is still OK not to rinse? I’m worry about those bubbles! What you all think? Thanks:sm

I am different than most about this; I always rinse StarSan and I use a lot of it. My water is clean and pure. Unless you are getting water from a well and that particular well's water is not very good/clean, rinsing is not going to de-sanitize.

If you have doubts about your water, don't rinse.

If you dilute the star-san as directed the bubbles will usually disappear and when dry you'll have a perfectly clean surface. The problem arises (and I know this form experience;-) when you use too much star-san concentrate for the amount of water you are mixing it in. If you make it too strong you can end up with a bit of a residue.

I usually don't rinse things after they've been sanitized because things should be the cleanest right after they've been sanitized and products like star-san were developed so you don't have to rinse and risk adding any contaminants back to your gear. That said, robie is correct in saying that if you do have good clean water you will be just fine in either case.

They said neither Kmeta (fumes sanitizer) or StarSan (contact sanitizer) have to be rinsed, but, Star San make a lot of bubbles, it is still OK not to rinse? I’m worry about those bubbles! What you all think? Thanks:sm

You're correct in saying neither needs to be rinsed. The reason is that, when mixed properly, neither impacts taste, smell, nor the wine process. Rinsing is just a personal preference. My view is that tap water from a public water supply could contain microbes and I choose to avoid that risk, minimal as it is, so I don't rinse. Of course some wine makers use tap water to dilute their kits.

Tony P.

Good discussion.

Funny, but this rinse .vs. no rinse debate has been going on for years, and I am sure it will continue. It really comes down to a personal preference, based on one's own experience.

Latest posts

Back