Other Kit Alterations: Semi-drying a Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoaniB

Reaction score
I have been wondering about modifying kits.

There is a wine in Canada that lists itself as a semi-dry Riesling, and I enjoy it a lot.

Would I be able to continue fermenting a Riesling kit until it attains a semi-dry state? Is that viable, or just taking risks with a kit that I would have little experience with?

If that kit is like most, the wine is actually fermented completely dry, then an F pack of sugar and maybe some other flavoring like apple is added back to sweeten. The F pack and/or kit contains sorbate to keep the wine from re-fermenting.

That being said, if you don't want it as sweet, just don't add all the F pack or don't add the F pack at all.

Maybe some others who have made that kit can comment further. Which kit is it?

Hi, Robie,

Thanks! I haven't bought a kit at this point, but was looking at the possibility of doing so.

For non-dessert style wine, I like a very lightly sweetened Riesling, myself... just a touch. I buy this Germany Riesling - Funf, for about $5.99 a bottle. It comes in a solid white bottle. A nice, inexpensive wine.

I have never made a Riesling, but hope to someday.

JoaniB...some Riesling kits make an off-dry riesling. Talk to your local retailer about what is available to you. Off-dry may not be sweet enough, so you could add sugar after stabilizing the wine to make it sweeter. If you already have a hydrometer, you could measure the sweetness of the wione that you like.

For example, Vineco's Cheeky Monkey California Riesling.

BTW...embarassed to mention the commercial wine that you like? :i If you had mentioned the name, I might have been able to find out more about the sweetness, and been able to help you more.

Steve

Oooh, thanks for the suggestion.

Not embarrassed at all, I just didn't know how well-known it might be, and you've just reminded me there are a lot of Canadian wine-drinkers (and makers) here!

It's the Vineland Estates Semi-Dry Riesling. I tried it at the Ottawa Food and Wine show about five years ago, and enjoyed it a lot. I couldn't tell you which year, though. There was a lot of wine that night...

The LCBO says that the current version of this wine is 9% alcohol and 26 g/l of sugar (or sweetness code 3). That is lower in alcohol than any of the straight riesling kits that I am familiar with (they run 11-12%), and sweeter than the off dry kits (usually sweetness code 1 or maybe 2).

Similar info on the winery's site.
http://www.vinelandwineshop.com/products.php?product=2009-Semi%2dDry-Riesling

Steve

Last edited:
The commercial winery can stop the fermentation at 9% by cold crashing and/or sterile filtering. You can't.

You can sweeten back to that sugar content, but the alcohol will still be in the 12ish% range.

Thanks for the information, everyone. I suppose I fell for the marketing. :/ Very interesting to know!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back