K-meta solutions have no smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLS

Reaction score
Why my K-meta (Potassium Metabisulphite) solutions have no smell? I use 3 tablespoons per gallon, could the powder is too old? Thanks

Why my K-meta (Potassium Metabisulphite) solutions have no smell? I use 3 tablespoons per gallon, could the powder is too old? Thanks

I use 3 table spoons in a 1 gallon jug of water and burn my nose hair off sniff!

Where did you buy your Kmeta from? I just had the same thing and suspect the source.

Where did you buy your Kmeta from? I just had the same thing and suspect the source.
I bought it online 4/21/2011 at Label Peelers never had this happen before, maybe it is because I begin to store this k-meta in a canning glass jar?

... so that's three years ago, and how was it when you used it the first time out of this pack?

Sometimes it can take a few weeks for it to develop that fabulous smell we have all grown to love so much. Give it time. I had that happen to me several years ago and I actually tested a sample (A/O Rig) of the batch I made up for free SO2 and it was off the charts (for a sanitizing solution).

What brand of Kmeta do you buy? I bought three 1lb bags of LD Carson from different vendors and they all have no smell. I suspect they are duds.

I have a bag of SO2 that is old, no smell. I added 1.5 grams to 5 gallons and my vinemetric read 50ppm so2, so I knew it was still active. Not sure it's the case with yours, but thought I'd share.

If that is true, then my question is, why some of K-meta solution smells so pungent? Are there something wrong with the smelly ones?

This is my takeaway from reading the FAQ:

1) The SO2 forms in the presence of Oxygen. So, if no oxygen, no SO2. Thus, if you mix the K-meta in water and seal it in a jar, you won't initially get SO2 odor because there is limited O2 - Thus the comments that it took a while for the k-meta solution to develop an odor.

2) Their claim of "does not smell bad" can only be applicable to the dry product. Once you mix it with water, it will develop SO2 if it is exposed to air.

Note: For an impure product, the dry k-meta could have absorbed enough water/O2, so when it is dissolved, it immediately releases enough SO2 to be noticeable.

Latest posts

Back