K-Meta for bulk aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUwiner

Reaction score
I want to bulk age some muscadine wine in a 5-gal. carboy. I added 1/16 teaspoon of K-meta per gallon at 50 days along with a clarifier when the wine was racked from the secondary fermenter. I plan to rack it again in about two weeks to the carboy. Based on kits I have done, I assume I have adequate sulfite for at least another 90 days of aging. If i want to go longer, when should I add more sulfite and how much? I usually add the 1/16 teaspoon per gallon again when bottling but is that too much just for the extended aging?

When bulk aging I only treat with k-meta, at the amount recommended on the bottle, usually 1/4tsp per 6 gallons (usually put 1/4 tsp k-meta in container with 6 tsp water and use 1 tsp solution per gallon, or 1/4 tsp k-meta + 3 tsp water and use 1/2 tsp solution per gallon), every 90 days while bulk aging. And for my sanity I TRY to coordinate bottling with a time that the next dose of k-meta is needed.
Eventually I will get a SO2 test kit to take the guess work out of it all.

I want to bulk age some muscadine wine in a 5-gal. carboy. I added 1/16 teaspoon of K-meta per gallon at 50 days along with a clarifier when the wine was racked from the secondary fermenter. I plan to rack it again in about two weeks to the carboy. Based on kits I have done, I assume I have adequate sulfite for at least another 90 days of aging. If i want to go longer, when should I add more sulfite and how much? I usually add the 1/16 teaspoon per gallon again when bottling but is that too much just for the extended aging?

Of course it is best to test for true free sulfite levels, but if you can't, many of us will add 1/8th teaspoon for 5 or 6 gallons every 8 to 10 weeks until bottled.

Again, it would be good if you acquire a good testing setup for free SO2.

I use the mt140 test kit that MoreWine sells. I bought it before the Vinimetric 300 came out, else I would have purchased the 300.

The mt140 works really well, but the 300 will do pH, TA, and SO2.

Nice... I'll pass that on to the Wife.. after all, Christmas is just around the corner.:)

When bulk aging I only treat with k-meta, at the amount recommended on the bottle, usually 1/4tsp per 6 gallons (usually put 1/4 tsp k-meta in container with 6 tsp water and use 1 tsp solution per gallon, or 1/4 tsp k-meta + 3 tsp water and use 1/2 tsp solution per gallon), every 90 days while bulk aging. And for my sanity I TRY to coordinate bottling with a time that the next dose of k-meta is needed.
Eventually I will get a SO2 test kit to take the guess work out of it all.

I was searching for something and came across your post, which made me wonder. Are you suggesting bottling the same day you add the k-meta, rather than waiting at least several days?

Tony P.

Latest posts

Back