Just crushed sangiovese

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyB

Reaction score
I just completed crushing 40 Gallons of Sangiovese Grapes. Added sulfite... PH is 3.63 and TA is 7.6 would you make any adjustments or does this sound good all things seem to be in range?

I would add acid to get PH down to 3.5. the ph environment of 3.65 is great for bacteria development. mix about 10 grams of tartaric acid in a gallon of water. while monitoring the wine with a ph meter begin adding small amount of acid solution stirring wine as you go keep adding solution to desired ph of a least 3.5. if you are planning on MLF get ph down to 3.4 if possible. there will be a point were adding acid solution will not vary PH , this point is buffer point on wine.

ShawnDTurner said:
Are you going to MALO, if so, know that your PH will Rise more (3.7 -3.8)?

No I am not going to Malo, but good point if i were.

If you are going to leave ph as is, you will need to add more so2 to protect the wine. Plus longevity is a concern with a ph that high. Cheers

The fermentation is going strong (see attached) I understand the point about the PH and will adjust it post fermentation before I rack into demijohns. Thanks for the input.

IMG_1396.jpg

Latest posts

Back