WineXpert It's Here...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of making this exact kit next. I even found it on the interwebs for $149 delivered!

I started reading the thread and thinking this is great and so going to be my next kit.
Now after hearing "the taste became flat and slightly oxidized". not so sure!

Thanks for detail and info!

I was thinking of making this exact kit next. I even found it on the interwebs for $149 delivered!

I started reading the thread and thinking this is great and so going to be my next kit.
Now after hearing "the taste became flat and slightly oxidized". not so sure!

Thanks for detail and info!
I interpretted that comment as "you'd better drink it all at one sitting!":dg

The one thing that I thought was weird is that it seemed to fall apart with a little air. I first popped the bottle for a glass to go with my lunch and it had a nice bright acidity, and good flavor. After recorking and leaving on the table until I reopened it at dinner time, the taste became flat and slightly oxidized. I think the modifications that they make to the tannins at Winexpert also affects that stability of the wine once opened. Just my 2 cents.

I am not an expert, so this is just food for thought. Could this condition be caused by having too little sulfites for the amount of time you aged it?

Or it could be that the wine simply needs more time to allow the more complex flavours to come to the front giving a less flat flavour profile?

It as been seven months since I pitched the yeast on this kit, and its acidity seems to have come back. The wine has become less jammy and more earthy and lean (more like a Burgundy). The one thing that I thought was weird is that it seemed to fall apart with a little air. I first popped the bottle for a glass to go with my lunch and it had a nice bright acidity, and good flavor. After recorking and leaving on the table until I reopened it at dinner time, the taste became flat and slightly oxidized. I think the modifications that they make to the tannins at Winexpert also affects that stability of the wine once opened. Just my 2 cents.

It's possible something else is going on, and I wouldn't be surprised if the wine needed more aging. What was the temperature you tasted it? Was the wine fully degassed? I ask because you describe it as going from acidic to flat in a short amount of time.

The wine was completely degassed and had 50 ppm free s02 (more than enough for 3.3 PH). The wine was tasted at room temperature and was corked and left at room temperature until dinner time. I know that the wine is still young (they recommend ageing at least a year and a half to 2 years) but I was just a little concerned with how a little oxygen exposure over about 6 hrs. would affect the wine that much. Just reporting on my own experience with this wine.

Latest posts

Back