Issues with dragon blood after two month in bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalofrenchy

Reaction score
Hello

I discovered two issues with my dragon blood that I bottled in March. I followed the original recipe. Back sweetened with 6 cups of sugar and bottled a week after. Everything was clear and seemed stable at the time... well except there was a slight fizz into the wine which I attributed to my inexperience in degassing as this was only my second batch of wine overall. One error (among others) that I have made was to not measure the SG after back sweetening it to compare it with now - a few month after bottling it. Now it is at 1.012 still high, actually kind of sweet for my taste.

1) there are some substance floating in the bottle <- this is the one issue that worries me the most.

2) there is a sticky substance coming out of the cork. Feels like syrup.

I am interested in understanding where it is coming from to prevent the issue again. I have a batch that is ready to be back sweeten now so I am extremely interested in understanding what happen before I bottle the second batch.

Is there anything I can do now to try to salvage or understand what is the problem? I have a dozen bottles left.
Since February, I have made several kits and checked these and do not see this issue.

20140614_141500.jpg

20140614_141721.jpg

Additional info for what it's worth:
The wine smells and taste good other than the fizz and very sweet taste. What I mean is that there is no off odor or taste.
When I back sweetened, I didn't make a syrup but simply dumped the granulated sugar and mixed with the spoon.

It's sounds like it is verrry slowly fermenting. Perhaps sorbate or k-meta weren't up to the required volumes?

thanks for the reply.
I poured the bottles (13 of them) into a 6 gal carboy yesterday.
Added K-meta and mixed thoroughly to degass.
Due to excessive air space I transferred into three 1 gal carboy (glass) which I topped up with a blush wine.
I measured the SG at 1.010
The SG was 1.012 two months ago. The slight change could be due to the blush wine I added as I added 3 bottles - 1 per carboy - or could be due to slow fermentation as you indicated.
Now I will monitor in the next couple weeks and will rack off the lees if there are any. Right now, it is as clear as it can be.

Latest posts

Back