WineXpert Island Mist instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrewr

Reaction score
I am curently making 2 island mist kits (Wildberry Shiraz & Stawberry White Merlot. After 6 days @ 72deg did a gravity read and it was about .996 so I transfered it.
Step 2 says wait 10 days and the gravity should be .996 or less. After 3 days I checked and now have a reading of .990
Can I go to step 3-stabilizing and clearing? It's not that I'm in a rush, but would just like to know.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Dave

I would wait until your gravity reading does not change for three consecutive days.

Don't rush.

Per Tim Vandergrift who wrote the WE instructions, "when offered a choice of a time or a gravity reading, always do the thing that takes longer (i.e., if your instructions say, 'after 5-7 days the sg should be below 1.010. When it is, rack the wine to the carboy', if the gravity is 1.010 after only two days, wait until the 5th day. If it's above 1.010 after 5 days, wait until it drops.)"

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I have a similar question with my reserve du chateau 23L must kit (paklab). I racked to secondary on day 6 at an SG of 1.002. The instructions give a secondary duration of 20-25 days (seems long to me). After a few days in the carboy the SG dropped to 0.992 and has held steady for a week now. It has obviously finished fermenting. Temp has been a steady 72F. Do I leave it for another 10 days before degassing, as recommended by the instructions? Is there any harm in leaving a gassy wine on lees for an extended period of time?

I don't mean to hijack this thread but i figured my question is similar in nature.

Engineer - It probably doesn't matter either way but if the instructions say wait 20 days, I'd go by that. I had a kit once that I degassed, stabilized and add the clearing agent to when the SG stabilized earlier than the days indicated in the instructions. I had a hard time getting it to clear. I called WE customer service. I gave them the info from my log book. They told me that the slow clearing might have been a result of trying to clear it too early. It eventually cleared. Ever since then I have always paid attention to the days specified in the instructions.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back