Interesting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afireguy

Reaction score
Allways learning.
I Cooked up a all fruit (pineapple. orange, strawberry, apple and bannana 100% juice concoction) plus some cranberrys, bannans, strawberrys and grapes real fruit,.. Starting sg 1.090....plus added some strawberry bannana juice to it later to bump up the sg about 7 moreon the sg scale. I let it cook to about.996 ( using a 18 % yeast and it fermented dry in 5 days).
The prob is its so nasty I dont think it will ever be any good, especially since it taste like burnt prunes. Unfortunately I added alot of sugar to try to mask the taste ( 6 cups per 6 gal).Now when u taste ityou can taste sugar on your lipps and then you get kicked with the nasty Dry burnt prune taste. (still very young.four weeks later).
lol...yes I already figured out that back sweeteningthat much was amistake......
Part 2:
At the same time Ive been slowly fermenting a Oragon peach puree, three cans plus sugar, 14 %yeast and it seemed to be going reallyslow.
...hehe ...yes I know Patients...
Anyway I added a lot of peach juice concentrate back to it and a 18% yeast,( I won't go into the ups and down of the sg numbers and additional sugars )till it cooked down to 18% abv (took about 7 weeks through this process).
I tested a drop of the peach off the hydrometer about two weeks ago and it was great, Peach shot through me... ( one drop and not dry).
But just like the "All fruit" I let it go Dry. It lost some peachy taste and went dry................ You might guess I would also say that I also screwed up this batch,but this is not the case. Its only seven weeks old to date in the corboy (been racked like three times) and its very mellow to be 18%
abv. Historicaly I don't like dry wines. But this is more like a peach martini.
...lol...Im just sharing a couple more crazy lessons ive learned with you guys...so do with it what you like...But I highly recommend the peache puree with a high alcohol output.... if you reaching for something different.
Mark....
afireguy

I use a backyard method of backsweetning things.
I figure a percentage of the gross volume in mililiters and add that many mililiters of sugar.
i started with a 4% figure and am down to 3 and 2% in some wines.
We can always add sugar later.
Your amount would come to6% by my method-- glue
smiley11.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!Find folks who like fried prunes maybe????????????????????

JUST A NOTE I have never messed up a batch of wine

on purpose lolEdited by: scotty

Wow! I must say thats one heck of a concoction... I do see a problem with some of the fruits that you have put together are really do not go well together.
1)the amount of available sugars needs to be tested and adjusted for each fruit.
2)the fruit juice’s acidity needs to be tested and adjusted for each fruit.

I think the problem was that you mixed them all together right away you put some very high acidic fruits in with ones that act like a buffer which will always give you that burnt or ugly taste. If you would have mixed each fruit individually and adjusted were it needed then you could have blended them together and obtained that sweetness you needed. I have also experimented like this and found out the hard way. Also there id no way that I know of to rid that taste... Good luck!
smiley11.gif

Thankyou,
Thats kinda what i was afraid of.
Maybe ill freez it into lil cubes and call it Prunes......lol
smiley17.gif

This is way to early to tell that it is yucky. What ever you do dont dump this, let it age 6 months and see what happens. Some wines will taste good right out of the carboys and others will not be good for months or even a year, especially with fruits that have had the abv boosted way up.

Thanks Wade,
Yeal I just thought I would sit on it a while and try to make some
san gria out of it next summer.....
smiley4.gif
...Win, lose or draw....Im drinking it....lols

Back