Discussion in 'Sponsor Showcase' started by Inkbird, Jan 29, 2018.
Thank you Amy!! Looking forward to receiving my Inkbird temp controller.
Congrats, Jim! What's the first project with the Inkbird?
I have two wines in extended maceration and nothing on deck. So, this is an open question. Maybe an SE Brunello.
I received my Inkbird and it looks like it’s in good order. Can’t wait to use it. Winter ferments are tough without a way to regulate the temp.
P.s. don’t tell my daughter. She works for Johnson Controls here in York, PA.
Wating your wine pictures.
We launched a mist kit last night so I decided to give the inkbird a test run. The basement is a cool 62* and I want to keep this at about 72*.
Plugged the brew belt into the heating outlet, set my parameters and away we go.
The sensor is in the wine and the lid is on, but not snapped down. Temps have already gone up to 69* since yesterday.
The yeast is multiplying and everything looks/smells good.
It’s a very good product imho
Update- the primary never reached 73*, unfortunately. We're on the downhill slide now.
Can you give a little more detail about how you set it up? Where did you set up the temperature probe? In a thermowell? Taped to the outside? If you did the latter, did you cover the probe in order to get a more accurate reading?
What were your controller set points?
What's a thermowell? I dropped it in the bucket. I set the temp for 73* F and the wine got as warm as 72.3*.
I thought about taping it to the outside, but didn't think I'd get an accurate #.
A tube sealed on one end that you slide your probe into and place in the must/wine.
What were your set points? How did you log the temperatures or did you just go with the highest number you saw?
Because I only have a heater (no need to cool it off in a 62* basement), I only set the desired temp.
Should I remove the probe from the wine then? It sounds like I should do that as soon as I get home. Have I caused my wine any harm? I'm guessing no, probably not.
Your earlier post said you wanted to keep it around 72. What did you end up setting it at? With a 62* basement, it might have never made it past 72.3* if set at 72*. It doesn't run continuously at the setpoint. It will turn the heater on/off once it gets outside of the differential value you set. I usually set mine for 1*F. That means the heater will kick on once the temp reaches 71* and kick off again once it reaches 72*. There may be a bit of overshoot or the heat of fermentation might have pushed it a little past 72.
Can't say I've heard of many people putting the probe directly in the wine, but it is supposed to be waterproof, so it is probably OK for a short period. The chemistry of the wine probably would not make it a good place for a probe for long. I tape mine to the outside of the bucket/carboy, completely cover it to help ensure a more accurate reading, and put the setpoint a couple of degrees below my target temperature. I do that to allow for temperature loss between the bucket/carboy and the wine. This method has always worked for me.
I set it for 73*. Next time, I'll do what you do and tape it to the side.
With the way the controller works, with a 1* differential, it would have spent a fair bit of time at 72.3 and below. With a higher differential it would have been even longer. You might have been catching it during those lulls. I bet it was working just fine.
Just remember to cover it well when you tape it to the bucket and set it a couple degrees below your target temperature, and you should be all set.
Separate names with a comma.