WineXpert Info on Italian Barbaresco kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilnH2O

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The WE catalog lists Italian Barbaresco under the Selection International reds -- and says it has "moderate tannins for short term cellaring." Does this mean it doesn't need years of storage before it is ready to drink? And, has anyone had any experience with this kit?

Thanks in advance!

Ok since no one has answered.. I guess I will. I've never tried that kit necesarily, but I'll give you the blanket answer:

They say that most of thier kits are made to be consumed within six months (thus the low sulphite levels, and need to add more sulphites if you want to extend aging).

I love italian wines, and have made borolos, valpolicella's, and such. I find that they are pretty bold wines and take a little longer (especially longer than six months) because of the tannins. If you get a red, that is a medium wine, I would still expect to be waiting for a year regardless.

You can still drink them, but they will be very green. My suggestion: Do two kits and try them at various stages of thier lives and then you can report back to us your experience
smiley2.gif

Good Answer! Thanks for picking up the slack around here!
smiley32.gif
We bulk age so by the time they hit the bottle they are about ready to consume. They do benefit from a bit of aging though, but you don't want to keep them too long.

As far as the Italian wines made by Winexpert, the Barbaresco is the fastest drinking of the reds. Give it at least 3 months and it will be ready to drink. I will age well for 1 year.

I thank you ALL! -- always looking for something new and have been trying to find a bottle commercially (to taste) and was unable to do so -- thought I'd ask! Just might have to put it on the list! Thanks, folks!

smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back