Im getting a bit better at it

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Scotty....Did you have friends over for a bottling party...or did just you and your sweetheart get it done?

Northern Winos said:
Very nice Scotty....Did you have friends over for a bottling party...or did just you and your sweetheart get it done?

The bottling party is scheduled for the 19th. We just bottled about 40 that needed to be put on the wine rack.
The other 3 types are not all fully fermented. About another 55 bottles.
Miss Rocky makes the labels.
I will get pics of the bottling party.

Scotty,

Your labels look great, quite a variety of labels and wines. Be sure to have someone take pictures of your bottling party, you'll be too busy to be the one taking the pics.

Ramona

Nice looking wines and labels there Scotty. Hope your bottling party goes great for you podner.

They all look great scotty, good job!
smiley32.gif

You'll have to share that Orange Wine recipe however..... I love Oranges..Edited by: jobe05

Orange wine sounds very interesting! Great job Scotty now beam me up.

jobe05 said:
They all look great scotty, good job!
smiley32.gif

You'll have to share that Orange Wine recipe however..... I love Oranges..

The orange juice wine recipe that i used is made from a couple of recipes i found and taylored to my method of juice treatment. I had about 1 1/2 gallons of liquid must before pitching

I have a comment or two about the results.

3 pints orange juice-no pulp
4 1/2 pounds of sugardisolved in 2 1/4 pints of boiling water.
3 pints cold water
1 1/2 campden tablets or 10.5 grains of sulfite crystals wait 24 hrs
3/8 tsp pectic enzyme and wait 24 hrs
1 1/2 tbsp acid blend
make the yeast starter. I usually get it going 8 hours before i intend to pitch.
3/8 tsp tannin
3/4tsp energizer
1 tsp. nutrient

Pitch yeast and stir vigorously every morningevery morning
till sg tells you to transfer to carboy under lock

when fully fermented rack off lees and stabilize with sorbate and sulfite

de gass and back sweeten if you prefer off dry.

NOTES: one gallon batches are too small to treat properly. I wanted to clarify it but refused toopen a package of the super clear for one gallon

Next season ill do at least 5 gallons of it.

SECOND The PA way too high 15% and the alcohol result over powers the obvious orange taste

I am finally getting over the newbie disease of making high alcohol wines
Ive noticed the strong taste in a few batches.
A lower alcohol content would have made this new wine extremly enjoyable from the start.

Edited by: scotty

Scotty,I have to envy your collection, butI have to ask, whenI went through your pics on photobucket,I noticed u have a lot of carboys going and they have a lot fo air space at the head is this an ok thing or should one be worried about leaving a lot of airspace. Thanks for your help

Trigham said:
Scotty,I have to envy your collection, butI have to ask, whenI went through your pics on photobucket,I noticed u have a lot of carboys going and they have a lot fo air space at the head is this an ok thing or should one be worried about leaving a lot of airspace. Thanks for your help
Those are just out of the primary and i believe that the production of carbon dioxide at that stage of fermentationprotects the wine. At next racking i revert to the full carboy method.
So far no trouble but i am being more cautios as i get further into the hobby.Edited by: scotty

trashy said:
So is it Kiribati or Florida? Just curious...
I have a warped sense of humor. Im afraid i am not well traveled as many of our wine group are.
Im still waiting for my 6 million iraq dinar to become worth something.
Then ill get to europe finally. If not Im happy where i am.

Gator wine is next I guess
smiley36.gif

scotty said:
trashy said:
So is it Kiribati or Florida? Just curious...
I have a warped sense of humor. Im afraid i am not well traveled as many of our wine group are.
Im still waiting for my 6 million iraq dinar to become worth something.
Then ill get to europe finally. If not Im happy where i am.

Gator wine is next I guess
smiley36.gif

Speaking of money value, The canadian dollar is catching up to the US Dollar yesterday it hit 91.1 cents. Soon if it gets better I will be able to order cross border from George some of the great things those of you lucky enough to live in his are are talking about......
George I love the old newsletters and catching up on all your knowledge u have passed on over the years.... kudos to you!!

Latest posts

Back