I was ready to give up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
I've been busy the last year or so and haven't had the chance to participate here as much as I'd like. Between my day job as a business analystand flipping houses I've been going non-stop for over a year. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I started a Mosti AllJuice Barolo in January. I sort of followed the instructions-I basically bulk aged ituntil last Sunday when I finally had time to bottle it.

I also posted a question over a year ago about a Muscat/Riesling blend that I was having problem with. I finally just put it in a carboy and left it since June, 2007. I also bottled it Sunday.

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3518

Since I didn't follow the direction on either kit I was prepared for both to fail. In fact I had a debate with myself-to bottle the muscat/riesling blend or just dump it. I was ready to give up on winemaking because I simply didn't have the time.

However...

Fast forward to tonight (Friday night). I decided to try the wines that I about gave up on but bottled anyway on Sunday. I was prepared to be disappointed.

My first wine was the Barolo. I opened the bottle expecting the nose to be horrid. It was actually quite good. I decided it might be worth a try.

After the first glass I realized why Barolo is called "King of wines, wine of kings". The wine hit my palette like an explosion. Did I really make this? Wow! If I were into Internet acronyms I would say OMG!WTHIT! At the very least I expected the wine to have a young taste. Not in the least.

I was still prepared to dump the muscat/riesling blend. I slightly chilled a bottle and tried it.

Where did this come from? Did I actually make this? Holy cow!

I normally don't care for white wines, but this is a very good wine. It's smooth, witha hint of Riesling/Muscat with a sudden finish that leaves me wanting more. Not sweet, but not bitter/mouth puckering. Very gentle.

I should have failed with both of these kits. I didn't follow the directions. But both turned out exceptional. While the Muscat/Riesling kit wasn't from George, the Barolo was. I was listening to some Sinatra when I finished the bottle of Barolo and realized that I wanted more. You can bet that I'll be ordering another kit or two from George.

George, grazie

Great to see it worked out for you! As anal as we can all be at this hobby, it often is very forgiving, as you have discovered. Good to see it convinced you to make more!

All it takes is one good wine!

Mike. how do you spell hooked?
smiley14.gif

this hobby heavily rewards procrastination, which is perfect for me :)

Congrats on your wines, I hope you continue with the hobby.

Time in a bottle is the name of the game!Now that you see what time will do to a wine, will you make a few so that you will have some more ready in a year. Thats what I do so that I have a variation in time.

Thanks for sharing. This should provide encouragement for all and explain 2 thing:

1. <LI>Why I guarantee each wine kit, and </LI>
    <LI>Why Barolo is my favorite wine.</LI>

Thanks again and glad to hear of your success.

geocorn said:
Thanks for sharing. This should provide encouragement for all and explain 2 thing:

1. <LI>Why I guarantee each wine kit, and
    <LI>Why Barolo is my favorite wine.</LI>

Thanks again and glad to hear of your success.

With the housing slump I now have some real free time so I'll be placing another order soon. I only have one problem-which one to try next!

Mike, isn't it a pleasant surprise to open a bottle of wine thinnking it could possibly taste like swamp water and it turns out a necter from the wine gods?
smiley36.gif

I love hearing from my co-workers that they enjoyed a wine I made. Or a stout.
You have found out that time is a precious commodity for a bottle of wine.

Now, for your next kit!!!!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back