Hypothetical question for the experts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
Simple question, but doubt there's a simple answer.
Start with a finished "wine" that is, say 5% ABV. Add enough sugar to bring the SG up, and ferment according to all appropriate protocols to a dry finish of SG ~.996. Let's say calculating from your new starting SG and finished .996, the supposed alcohol content would be 12% ABV.
Since you started with a 5% batch, and fermented to 12%, is there any way to figure what the actual alcohol content would be?
12%?
17%?
None of the above?

:a1

First, depending how a "finished" wine was stabilized (ie sorbate - yes or no?), what you suggest may not be possible.

Second, I say it would be 17%.

Steve

First, depending how a "finished" wine was stabilized (ie sorbate - yes or no?), what you suggest may not be possible.

Second, I say it would be 17%.

Steve
The "wine" was not finished in that sense. It stalled at 5%, and after it was apparent all fermentation had stopped, it was bulk stored for 11 months. It had a very high acid content, so that was treated with Calcium Carbonate. After sitting in limbo for that long, the acid levels were manageable, so it was further diluted 3:1 and new processing started.
Since the original batch was diluted, that 5% was probably 1.25%. That's the reality of my question.
But the theoretical part of my question was whether the ABV would be compounded (e.g., 17% as you suggest), or if some other factors were involved?

It would be the same as step-feeding the yeast and calculating the final ABV from combining the steps..

If you started with 5% ABV, didnt dilute it and added enough sugar that a yeast fermented a further 12% ABV, then you'd have a wine with roughly 17%

After sitting in limbo for that long, the acid levels were manageable, so it was further diluted 3:1 and new processing started.
Since the original batch was diluted, that 5% was probably 1.25%. That's the reality of my question.
But the theoretical part of my question was whether the ABV would be compounded (e.g., 17% as you suggest), or if some other factors were involved?

If it were diluted, then you'd have to work in the dilution ration to the first ABV, like you've done and add that to the new alcohol - although it becomes even more approximate than the first number was already

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, guys.
Stacking enough fermentation cycles, I can make my own rocket fuel now!
Hahahaha.
Seriously, thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the input, guys.
Stacking enough fermentation cycles, I can make my own rocket fuel now!
Hahahaha.
Seriously, thanks for the replies.
Possibly not. The yeast will die of alcohol poisoning at some point.

Steve

Back