Hydrometer Rope

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afireguy

Reaction score
This has probably been discussed a lot.
smiley2.gif

But anyway I dont have a thief or a thief testeryet, so im still doing it the old fashion way, of just dropping the hydrometer into the corboy. I have read treads where in some cases its hard to retrieve. So i tied dental floss around the top part of the teaster and slowly lowered it into the Must, and it holds great. The softness of the wax floss grabs the glassand the floss floats on the wine giving you a true reading.... anyway this has prob... already been discovered, but if not hope it helps someone.
smiley4.gif

smiley36.gif
I just used duct tape to tape a heating pad to side of my fermenter my Strawberry/Riesling is fermenting in

Wow, guess I won't use the ole bubble gum trick any more.
smiley36.gif

Going to try the dental floss today on my Cab/Shiraz in the carboy.

Ahh yes duct tape....modern day baling wire! Another use below. That is duct tape holding a block of styrofoam insulation which has been hollowed out to accept the bulb of the thermometer and hold it against the side of the carboy. The brew belt fine tuners are a couple of screw drivers which hold the a portion of the belt away from the glass.Thatgetupkeeps the carboy at 73 plus or minus 1 degree even tho ambient varies from 62 to 67.
20071213_124835_PC130001.JPG
Edited by: Jack on Rainy

Latest posts

Back