Hydrogen Sulfide

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony_Tiz

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Got a problem. I've got hydrogen sulfide in my wine, probably because of stressed yeast. I just got done degassing and splash racking it hoping to get rid of some of it. I read an article about using copper brillo pads in wine to extract the H2S. Does anyone have any experience using this method? I'm just not sure if I put pieces of copper in my carboys or straining in through the copper.

My pH is 3.44

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited:
Please don't do either of those things. Both of them add an unknown amount of copper to your wine. You either want to get a product called Reduless, you add wait 24 or 48 hours and rack. Or you do a test and determine the smallest dosage of copper sulfate to remove the smell. Always use a known amount of copper sulfate.

Please don't do either of those things. Both of them add an unknown amount of copper to your wine. You either want to get a product called Reduless, you add wait 24 or 48 hours and rack. Or you do a test and determine the smallest dosage of copper sulfate to remove the smell. Always use a known amount of copper sulfate.
thanks

Redulees has a low dosage of copper, it’s a good step to see it resolves the issue. You do not want an uncontrolled amount of copper in your wine.

I read an article about using copper brillo pads in wine to extract the H2S. Does anyone have any experience using this method? I'm just not sure if I put pieces of copper in my carboys or straining in through the copper.
years back i had an issue like this... I opted to get some copper pipe and cut a few pieces slipped them into the carboys... after a few weeks - month, problem gone.

years back i had an issue like this... I opted to get some copper pipe and cut a few pieces slipped them into the carboys... after a few weeks - month, problem gone.
Everyone that drank the wine was treated with an uncontrolled amount of heavy metal. Not a good idea and potentially dangerous to some people.

Back