Hybrid Juice Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebonheart

Reaction score
We had excellent luck last season with our Baco Noir juice. Put some oak to it, and it turned out to be an excellent first try. The De Chaunac, while technically done correctly, really doesn't stand up well as a varietal on its own, IMHO. We've found that it's a good sangria base, and might be good for mulling in the winter, so no huge loss.

Going up to Lake Erie on the 3rd for 2-3 buckets of juice. Baco Noir looks on short supply this year, so we're thinking of other juices. On the list as possible are Chancellor, Chambourcin, Steuben, Corot Noir, Marachel Foch, Leon Millot, Noiret and Rougeon.

Any strong opinions on the positive or negative on any of these?

Chambourcin is one of my least favorite varietals, and I've tried quite a few. It always has a soapy off flavor on the finish to me. I'm not a real big fan of Noiret but it can be done ok. I've had a decent Corot. Foch is my favorite on your list. I've had more good ones than bad, but it can tend to be vegetative so keep that in mind when you make your fermentation decisions and yeast selection.

We had excellent luck last season with our Baco Noir juice. Put some oak to it, and it turned out to be an excellent first try. The De Chaunac, while technically done correctly, really doesn't stand up well as a varietal on its own, IMHO. We've found that it's a good sangria base, and might be good for mulling in the winter, so no huge loss.

Going up to Lake Erie on the 3rd for 2-3 buckets of juice. Baco Noir looks on short supply this year, so we're thinking of other juices. On the list as possible are Chancellor, Chambourcin, Steuben, Corot Noir, Marachel Foch, Leon Millot, Noiret and Rougeon.

Any strong opinions on the positive or negative on any of these?

Great question. I grow both Baco Noir and Chambourcin and they blend very well. As for Chambourcin on it's own; it is grown throughout NC and VA and I have tasted a few good ones but the best have always been a blend. The best blend was a Cab Franc/Chambourcin estate grown in VA. Chambourcin is a wonderful grape for color and tannins and works best with a BRIX of 21 or more to help reduce the Veg quality some find. I would make the same statement for the others as well. I would strongly consider buying two or more, ferment separately and then consider blending once they are ready to bottle.

Back