Greetings from WNY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr8zins

Reaction score
Greetings from Buffalo Niagara. I am Mark and I've been into home wine making for about 17 years. I started small in the early days with frozen Welches (concord/white/raz/peach) 100% concentrates...moved into kits which I still do from time to time. From there I expanded my equip. and started sourcing my freshly pressed juice from Walker's in Chautauqua County (on Lake Erie). These were mostly French Hybrids, like Foch, Chambourcin, Baco.. This year, I'm trying California pails for the first time. Currently I have 15 gallons of each in secondary: Syrah, Lodi Old Vines Zin, and Cab. Sauv. I am experimenting with a blend of all three of these in a small batch just for fun.

I'm lucky enough to live in a major wine-producing area in the US. There are dozens of outstanding wineries in Niagara-on-the-Lake in Canada (about 1/2 hour away), Niagara County, NY, Chautaqua County to the south, and the Finger Lakes Region about 90 minutes east of here.

I've contributed a few posts already just so you know I'm not a lurker, and I hope any advice I can contribute is a help to others. Take care and I'll see you all in cyber! :sm

Mark

Last edited:
Mark, Welcome to the forum. I have been to Walkers every week since they reopened for the season. Planning another trip up their Thursday and possibly Saturday. There are several other members here from your area also. If you meet Larry he's learned how to cook a heck of a tv dinner in the last four weeks!

Yes, welcome aboard. Wife and I just returned yesterda from Seneca Lake where we spent the week touring wineries and tasting tasting tasting. Wonderful vacation.

Welcome to the Forum. You are so lucky to have so many resources near you. I left the Rochester area four years ago. So many great wineries.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to winemakingtalk, glad you found your way here.

No, Wade...I did not innoculate with ML...ordinarily I've done it with chards but not my reds. I think it's too late, though. I'm down to .996 on everything now, and I sulfited.

Mark

Latest posts

Back