RJ Spagnols how fast everything settles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StBlGT

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions, but i have one more.

After i just stabalized my rjs international sauv blanc (adding the sulphite, sorbate, kieselsol and chitosan), i noticed really quickly (like 20 minutes) after degassing and allowing the carboy to sit, that there seemed to be sediment (or something) already at the bottom. When i racked prior to adding everything, it was clean. Is this normal to have everything drop this quickly? If so, is it okay to leave the wine sitting on it for the 3 or 4 weeks the kit recommends?

I stirred and degassed as the instructions said. It is my first kit and want to make sure it will be okay. Thanks.

Yes, everything sounds like it's normal. If you've done a good job degassing, it really progresses quite quickly and in white wines, clearing can be quite noticeable even if you look at it every day. When I do a white, the neck of the carboy usually clears in a few hours, and over the next week, you'll notice a very distinct horizontal layer between the clear wine on top and the cloudy wine below, which sinks deeper and deeper to the bottom of the carboy. It's really quite satisfying to be able to see it happen in a white wine. When it's done, you can see all the way through, top to bottom.

It sounds fine to me. You are probably seeing light colored things settling. Over time they will compress. You will even start seeing the clearing level line in the wine lowering from the top down each day, it's fascinating to me. It all sounds like you're on a good path to me.

I just saw that JohnD said much the same thing :)

Awesome! That is what i was hoping to hear. Thanks so much.

So it is okay to let the wine sit on top of it without any harm for a month or two?

Awesome! That is what i was hoping to hear. Thanks so much.

So it is okay to let the wine sit on top of it without any harm for a month or two?

At this point, you are sitting on fine lees, I've left whites on fine lees that long, but is suspect your kit wants you to rack off of them sooner than that. You should err on the side of following along. Once off of the fine lees, you can age in the carboy as long as you like, making sure to keep your SO2 levels up to snuff by adding 1/4 tsp every 3 months.

Thanks, john. Yes, my kit wants me to rack after the 42nd day (6 week kit), and then bottle (which i won't). That means the wine will have to sit on the fine lees for around 3 weeks before a racking.....is that okay?

AZMDTed: yes, it is a light colored "sediment" that has almost covered the bottom of the carboy within an hour after degassing.

Thanks, john. Yes, my kit wants me to rack after the 42nd day (6 week kit), and then bottle (which i won't). That means the wine will have to sit on the fine lees for around 3 weeks before a racking.....is that okay?

AZMDTed: yes, it is a light colored "sediment" that has almost covered the bottom of the carboy within an hour after degassing.

Yes, that's just fine. Follow along and then do your bulk aging.

Give your carboy a couple sharp twists back and forth to help settle the lees and make sure nothing is clinging to the sides, especially with ribbed carboys.

cheers

Last edited:
Thanks, putterrr....that helped a lot! I did have some clinging (especially on side and around the top) and after i moved it back and forth, it was crazy how much was freed up and settled to the bottom.

Keep doing that until it makes it to the bottom. Makes the next racking much clearer without the side clingers muddying the wine. Really noticeable in whites but reds act just the same. Wine is wine

cheers

Back