Hopefully its not a mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18523

Reaction score
Hi,
Started my first batch (ever) a few weeks ago. When I went to the supply store, they didnt have any kits so I bought the tools/accessories and bought fresh Zinfandel juice. A few weeks later I also bought a kit of white. Although the juice did not come with instructions, I have been following some I read online. When I got my Pinot Grigio kit it also came with oak chips. I realized that I didnt use any oak chips in my zinfandel. Is this going to be a problem? I am about 3 weeks in, have moved from primary fermenter to carboy and am about to do my first racking.

Thanks
Rich

all the oak chips do is give out an oak taste, wich I don't think would go well with a Zin anyway...

Well oak chips to more than flavor - they add in tannins - which aids the preservation during aging.

I'd still wouldn't put it in a Zinfadel....I'd use tanin powder no?

Yeah - i usually only add tannins to fruit that lack tannins - strawberries, bananas, gooseberries, etc.

For a Zin (as with all of my reds) I like to add oak beads. Oak Chips will add a rather small amount of the good wood flavor compounds that most winemakers are looking for.

I tend not to put any wood in my whites (except for a Chardonnay). I find that the game changes with white in that you want to reduce the usual amount of tannins.

Tannin Powder??? Why not get the tannins the old fashioned way? Use Oak! You get the tannin and the flavor.

For a Zin (as with all of my reds) I like to add oak beads. Oak Chips will add a rather small amount of the good wood flavor compounds that most winemakers are looking for.

I tend not to put any wood in my whites (except for a Chardonnay). I find that the game changes with white in that you want to reduce the usual amount of tannins.

Tannin Powder??? Why not get the tannins the old fashioned way? Use Oak! You get the tannin and the flavor.

Personnaly I don,t like the oak flavor in a "fruitier" wine....But that's just me ;)

Well thanks for the insight. I just finished stabilizing so hope everything goes well.

A number of commercial zins are oaked.

I am not adding oak to mine.

Like Jeff said, I'm going for more of a fruity taste.

AFAIK, Oak chips can really be added at any time, and a lot of people add them at the end.

Latest posts

Back