Hobby Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkutch

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone else grows Zinfandel in the North Dallas area? If you do curious what Brix you try to pick them at and normally when do yours reach this state (late July Early August)?

just curious...what kind of cold temps do you get in your area in the winter?

We get some freezes. This winter was one of the roughest in ages. In the area this hobby vineyard is located it got several times down in the upper 20's.

This year wont be the best yield year. However it looks like a normal yield. The 20's only happens for a few hours and then pops back to the upper 30's. We had 4 or 5 snows this year. To be even clearer this is actually Primitivo. This is also in a wine region in North Texas. There are about 65 vines of this and a few natives. The ironic thing is I get better growth from these than my natives. These vines are on there 7th leaf or 8th leaf. I would have to go back and look.

tkutch said:
The 20's only happens for a few hours and then pops back to the upper 30's. We had 4 or 5 snows this year.

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
WOW must be nice but I am sure we don't want your summers or water issues either.

Its not as nice as you might think but its not bad either. It is usually really windy. Summers suck. We always get tons of 100 plus days. Yesterday the normal temp was 105 and today it will be 107. Thats why you dont do anything during the day. night time can be nice though with it in the upper 70's and calm.

Back