Highest starting S.G.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael-s

Reaction score
A question for fruit wine makers. First a little explanation. I have been watching videos people have posted on YouTube specifically about them making Rhubarb wine because I would like to attempt to make a 23 litre batch of rhubarb wine myself. From what I have seen most people are going with a 1 to 1 ration of weight of rhubarb to pounds of sugar that is placed on the frozen rhubarb to extract the juice before starting. 1 guy used 22 pounds of rhubarb in his batch and said he put in 22 pounds of sugar, to extract the juice. So this leads up to my question about starting SG.

What is the "highest" specific gravity that you have ever started a fruit wine.

In the video the guy does not say what his SG was at starting and I wonder with 22 pounds of rhubarb and sugar used to extract juice SG must of been extremely high.

How high is too high, anyone start successfully above 1.110 and how critical is that starting SG.

Thanks.

I recently started a high alcohol rum wine(17%) with a Sg of 1.130 using ec1118. No problems

Latest posts

Back