High Original Gravity reading?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacto

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Can someone put me right?

I have malted my own wheat (adding about 450g of malt in 4 litres of water), added bittering agent, then once the wort is down to room temperature I added the yeast. So far so good.

But I took the OG reading expecting it to be around 1.040 ... it was 1.065. Could this high number be down to the fact that the liquid in question is quite thick with the malt and not to the density of sugar content.

... Or have I totally misunderstood what is supposed to be happening?

Last edited:
Well, I began to do that, then thought perhaps I was removing the malt, which I want to convert to alcohol. So I stopped, and now it appears to be gathering mud at the base ... which I was told to expect. Maybe it will just sort itself out. The only question I would then have is, should the FG be, say, 1.005, then what would be the correct ABV?

Last edited:
Well, I began to do that, then thought perhaps I was removing the malt, which I want to convert to alcohol. So I stopped, and now it appears to be gathering mud at the base ... which I was told to expect. Maybe it will just sort itself out. The only question I would then have is, should the FG be, say, 1.005, then what would be the correct ABV?
7.88abv if fermented down to .990

Latest posts

Back