High acidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapecrusher

Reaction score
I have a batch of wine that I over stressed the yeast I got rid of the sulphur smell but now I need to reduce the acidity to soften it How do I go about it?

How high is your acid, PH and ABV? What kind of wine? From Grapes or juice or fruit?

You can solve this issue with MLF and/or cold stabilizing.
MLF reduces Malic acid and cold stabilizing will lower tartaric acid.

MLF will only work if you: are above 3.1 PH, haven't added added KMETA after fermentation and your Alcohol isn't too high.

You can also add potassium bicarbonate powder to lower it slightly, but this is a last resort usually and lowers tartaric acid only.

Grapecrusher,
A few questions first:
What kind of wine is it?
Is this a Kit, Juice bucket or fresh grapes?
By your post, I can assume that it is through the fermentation process.
Do you have any test results such as PH, TA?
With this info we will be able to help you more precisely.

I look forward to your reply.

Pumpkinman. I have a cab and a red blend. Both juice from Italy. I have no measurements. I started them a year ago and was surprised to see the blend started to ferment again. I added sorbate to stop it when I racked it. I'm trying to save 15 gallons but I'm losing hope

This might be a natural MLF not a re-fermentation. Did you add any Sulfite (KMETA)

If so, adding Sorbate to the wine at this point is a really bad thing and would apparently ruin your wine. If it isn't too late, maybe you could add an enzime called lysozyme to halt any Malolactic bacteria?

Hopefully someone else will chime in soon with more experience

Latest posts

Back