hesitant to start... some questions for you!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't really want to pick out one manufacturer, but you'll probably be doing a Winexpert kit sooner or later, so you might as well start there.

http://www.winexpert.com/~ASSETS/DOCUMENT/Resources/Instructions/Vintners Reserve-instructions.pdf

"cost-effective options" - a Ken Ridge Classic Merlot kit makes a very nice easy drinking red wine - decent young, better aged - costs me $68 for 29-30 bottles plus say $10 for supplies - Still under $3/bottle - of course, I already have the bottles and the equipment.

BTW, I have one of those on the go at the moment. Got the kit at 15% off the price I quoted. A better kit that requires more aging like a Ken Ridge Showcase Australian Shiraz costs me $96 plus $10 supplies, still under $4/bottle.

A top-of-the-line Ken Ridge Founders Series Australian Cabernet Shiraz (with grape skins) costs me $121 plus supplies is under $4.50/bottle. Just need to age for over a year.

To me, these are very cost-effective. Of course, Canadian alcohol taxes make my cheapest commercial red almost $10/bottle.

Note these are the kits that I know the local pricing on. This brand has limited availability in the USA.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'll probably be ordering everything via internet because of my location...otherwise I'll be searching cities I go to for supply stores.

Josh

Josh:

Looks like you are relatively close to Pittsburg, (approx 45 miles) so...

SOUTH HILLS BREWING SUPPLY
2212 NOBLESTOWN RD.
PITTSBURGH,PENNSYLVANIA
United States
412-937-0773
[email protected]
www.southhillsbrewing.com

shbsjon is a member of another forum, and seems pretty reasonable. May not be the closest retailer, but I doesn't look to be too far away.

The Winexpert site is pretty much useless for finding a retailer, so I found this one at the RJ Spagnols site. However their web-site seems to emphasize Winexpert and Cellar Craft rather than RJ Spagnols.

Steve

Yeah, I have a friend that actually doesn't live too far from that store. It's about 1 hour 20 minutes away from my home. It's about 45 miles, however, the traffic is horrendous. There is also one in Follansbee, West Virginia that deals Cellar Craft and Winexpert...

Winemakers Loft

830 Main Street Rear
Follansbee, WV , United States
Email: [email protected]
Tel: (304) 527-0600
Tel (alt): 1 800 747-2610
Fax: (304) 527-0511

I have some options...Follansbee is really close, if I had a boat (probably 15 minutes). Otherwise, it is also approximately a 1 hour drive.

Hello, I'm interested in making my own wine at home but I'm a little skeptical! My wife and I drink wine almost every day so an everyday wine I could make would be great and fun to make. I have the below questions... please let me know your thoughts/advice.

* can the wine produced at home really be good or should I not set expectations to high? any nationally distributed brand any one here would compare their product to?

*can i get decent product from concentrate or is juice going to get me a much better wine?

*where do you recommend I get the wine kit from and concentrate or juice from? I've found EC Kraus, Williams Brewing and beer-wine in a search but figure one of them likely gives a much better concentrate or juice.

Thanks

Personally, I've made many more Winexpert kits than others mostly that is the brand my local supplier sells. I have also made and was pleased with a Herron Bay ice wine and a RJ Spagnols Pinot Chardonnay.

I suggest you invest in a wine making equipment kit and an extra 3 gallon carboy. You'll be anxious to try your wine right away, as was I. You can fill the extra carboy for aging then bottle (and drink) the other half.

When starting I found that I quickly progressed to having multiple batches going at once in varying stages. That way I always had some finishing and ready to drink. I'm currently up to 2-6 gallon carboys, 4-3 gallon carboys, and 2-1 gallon jugs. I experiment with 1 gallon batches when making my own from fresh fruit. If I like it, I make a larger batch and if I don't, well, it doesn't take as long to drink.

Back