Help With Chokecherry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poorboy

Junior
Reaction score
I have about 25lbs of Chokecherrys. It will be about a month or two before I can start any wine. I just washed them and froze them. they take up a lot of room in the freezer. I was wondering if I could boil them in a small amount of water, remove the pits and refreeze the juice and pulp. I am also looking for a simple chokecherry wine recipe. I am new at wine makeing so any help is appreciated

It's going to be a lot of work to remove those pits. Do you have access to a steamer that you can use instead of cooking them? Would you be able to can the juice instead of refreezing it?

I will have to ask around about a staemer, I think my neighbor may have one, he makes a lot of wine but he dont like to give away any of his secrets. As for canning the juice that is a good idea and will get them out of my freezer.

You can pick up a good steamer for about $115 check out the winemaking equipment section and search for the steam juicer topics.......

I just steamed about 25 pounds or so of chokecherries (eyeball guess, didn't weigh them, but have weighed similar quantities in the past). I got 14 quarts of juice from them. Now my table is covered with jars of juice but the freezer has a bit more room in it. I highly recommend the steamer juicer but with chokecherries, for me, it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r but then again, I steam them forever to get every bit of juice & flavor there is in them out of them.

Latest posts

Back