Help with Apfelwien, adding fruit to recipe for a twist!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drez

Reaction score
I've made a few batches of Apfelwein and would like to try and ramp it up a notch by adding some real fruit. For this, your help is required...

I'm starting with the basic recipe linked above (AJ+ 2lbs Dextrose+yeast=apfelwein). I'm halving the typical 1kg (2.2lbs) Dextrose I typically use and would like to replace it with a similar amount of sugars from Fresh Apples/Pears. How much should I use to accomplish this goal?

Rather than ferment in the carboy as my original recipe does, I figure with the added sediment I should use a primary bucket and rack to secondary. I'm planning on mashing the fruit up well after removal of seeds and stemps, tirring regularly during fermentation till dry, assuming aprox 2 weeks. Then rack down and drop some K Met to stabilize. Perhaps sparkloid?

Anything else?

Sound like a reasonable plan for an improved Apfelwein?
Thanks!

If you use fruit in the beginning you will end up very similar to the original apfelwein, it won't really give you a stronger "flavor" If you do use the fruit in the primary use your hydrometer to get a sg reading before adding any sugar/dextrose. then add additional sugar/dextrose to 1.085-1.009 range.

Why not make the apfelwein by the original recipe and use the fruit to make a F-Pac. I'm considering doing this to my next batch. You will get more "flavor" from an f-pac.

If you use fruit in the beginning you will end up very similar to the original apfelwein, it won't really give you a stronger "flavor" If you do use the fruit in the primary use your hydrometer to get a sg reading before adding any sugar/dextrose. then add additional sugar/dextrose to 1.085-1.009 range.

Why not make the apfelwein by the original recipe and use the fruit to make a F-Pac. I'm considering doing this to my next batch. You will get more "flavor" from an f-pac.

Perhaps F-Pac is the way to go...I've never done one but I had considered that.

I simply figured that if the apfelwein was gettings its mild favour from the jucie alone, then some additional apple/pear might ramp it up a notch. I don't mind if the flavour was still mild, just wanted to add a depth of character to it. I still intend to use AJ rather than water along with the fruit. You don't think this will effect the favour too much?

I never use water in the apfelwein. Even for an f-pac you should still use apple juice. With all of my wines i try to avoid using water as little as possible. I prefer to use juice instead of water.

When you make your F-pac i would freeze the apples and then thaw and cook them down with apple juice, you can also add some maple syrup to give some color and add some sweetness. Keep me posted as to how you make out and what you add. Also your apples should be cut up and seeds removed, make sure you add your k-meta and sorbate so it doesn't re ferment. Plus figure a couple months extra for clearing as you will probably have a good bit of pulp from the apples.

Latest posts

Back