Help! Running a hot ferment??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadpupp

Reaction score
Newbie question.

How do I measure the tempertature of my ferment in a big Brute?

I have a 44 gallon Brute going about 3/4 full of 9 cases of Zin. Everything went smoothly with the yeast and such, tons of CO2. I pitched on Sunday after two days of cold soak. The must was at 70 degrees when I pitched. The room is at roughly 72 degrees.

I punch down by hand and the cap feels really warm. The small floating thermometer reads 90 degrees but it is obviously the cap that is 90 degrees. When I use my arm to punch the cap, the liquid below feels quite a bit cooler. I can't get a good reading of the lower third of liquid "cause it is a floating thermometer.

My question is: how do I get a clear reading of the temperature and is it the liquid below or the temp of the cap that I should be worrying about?

I have read many posts about using icebombs to cool off a hot ferment. Do I need to worry about it?

Thanks all
Chad

It all depends.

There are people that prefer a "hot" fermentation to rid the wine of fruit flavor components, then there are folks that like a "Cold" fermentation to retain the fruit flavors in the wine.

at 90 degrees, you do not have anything to worry about. A hot fermentation can go even hotter with no risk.

Thanks john

But still where should the measurement be taken? At the cap?

I would give it some good stirs - once mixed - I would draw a sample out from the middle of the vessel using a wine thief or turkey baster - then test that with the floating thermometer.

I try to take the temp around 4 inches below the surface of the wine itsself. I have several thermometers, so I tend to just leave them in all the time.

I try to take the temp around 4 inches below the surface of the wine itsself. I have several thermometers, so I tend to just leave them in all the time.

That's what i do - my hydrometer has a thermometer built in it - so i leave that floating in my primary - that way i can take a quick SG and temp reading...

Ahh! Drawing a sample! That makes sense. Not sure why that didn't occur to me. Thanks

Floating thermometer with an eye-hole at the top. Tie some fishing Line and sanitize it. Before you punch down, while you're cap is thick and tight, jam the thermometer down so its in the liquid and the cap holds it from coming back up. Use the fishing Line to pull it out. Don't forget it before you punch down!

Floating thermometer with an eye-hole at the top. Tie some fishing Line and sanitize it. Before you punch down, while you're cap is thick and tight, jam the thermometer down so its in the liquid and the cap holds it from coming back up. Use the fishing Line to pull it out. Don't forget it before you punch down!

mine come with bright red caps on them. They are easy to spot when you leave just a little bit of the thermometer sticking out of the cap.

Latest posts

Back