Greetings from the Great White North

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sergean2

Junior
Reaction score
I'm living in Traverse City, Michigan, doing some work at a certified organic vineyard and orchard. Lots of challenges with organic wines but most important is the prohibition of using sulfites. Lots of hot water and scrubbing. We have Gewertraimer, Pinot Gris, Reisling, Vignole and Chardonnay in our vineyard

At home I make any wine that the WIFE (Wine Information and Feedback Executive) likes, even some she doesn't. Have made, blueberry, cherry, cherry pie, chocolate cherry (I live in the self-described cherry capital of the world I have to get creative), lilac, and honey locust flower (only 1 week old stay tuned) all from scratch no kits allowed :h

Look forward to talking to everybody and sharing what I know/learn, which will take 15 minutes.

Mike Sergeant

Mike, Welcome to the forum. Lots of information here, feel free to ask anything. I know we will certainly be looking forward to your input! Keep us posted on what your making and how its coming out. You're about the forth cherry capitol I've heard of LOL. How did you add chocolate to your cherry/chocolate wine? I have heard of simmering cocoa. Currently I am making an ice wine was chocolate but I added a half pound of chocolate pieces right in the gallon of wine thats going through a secondary fermentation right now.

I added about 1/4 cup cocoa powder (Hershey's) per gallon. Thought I would have better control over the amount sugar in the must than I would with candy bars and lower amounts of oils/fats than from baking chocolate. Most of it laid around in the bottom but the essences are definitely in solution. Very chocolaty, needs to mellow. It's still a feisty 2 months old.

You're about the forth cherry capitol I've heard of LOL.

Actually I should have been more specific,it is the TART cherry capital of the world. According the chamber of commerce (a reliable source if ever there was one:p) this area supplies most of the montmorency cherries for cherry pies and other tart cherry related foods

Back