Greeting from Winnipeg Newbies!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocelyn

Reaction score
Hey all!
My husband, a close friend and I decided to get into wine making recently. Our reasoning was it would be an affordable alternative to buying store bought alcohol (I know for shame). We have many pets and our money goes pretty darn fast. We also like to share our drinks when we have people over and right now thats getting harder and harder to afford.
We purchased our supplies used, all the materials we needed (except sanitizing agents had to buy those separate) plus 3 fermenting pails, 5 carboys, a minty floor corker, and 24 bottles for 140.00 which I was quite pleased with. Our first kit was the Costco econo wine (vino Europa Merlot/Cabernet) 60 bottles for 45.99. It just finished primary fermentation and was moved into the carboys today, smells pretty bad but tasted each and they don't taste awful (though as everyone has said in the reviews the Merlot is quite thin). We were typically buying the cheapest wines in the liquor mart so really not a huge jump it seems :)
What is surprising us more then anything is the fact that both me and the hubby are already in love with the hobby! Our primary fermentors are empty and we can not wait to get a new batch loaded up in them!

Welcome Jocelyn! This hobby is addicting, but I didn't fight back the urge at all. I've only been at it a year, and everything I make tastes so much better than what I used to buy I'm amazed. Just last night i opened a bottle that I had thought was good enough to buy a case before. It didn't compare at all with my homemade. The longer you get into this, the more you realize that since you make it, you can make it the way you want it. Anyway, it sounds like you have the bug. I say go for it. If you don't get a bunch of batches aging quickly you won't be able to resist drinking them before they are ready.

Pam in cinti

I was thinking of doing a premium kit (Shiraz and maybe some white, not typically big on white wines) in July so it has some time to age, but will it really make a huge difference if I drink my econo wine shortly after the 4 weeks?

Jocelyn, I really can't advise on kits. Never did one, altho I have one here waiting it's turn . (Blanca Luna, I was lucky enough to try some and it knocked my socks off, but I love whites). From what I've heard other folks say it is really imp to let kits age, esp esp esp reds. Most folks recommend doing what they call an early drinker, meaning you don't have to let it age long before it's fine to drink. You might want to look at Dragons Blood recipes. Also, whites don't need to age as long as reds, but you don't like white. So Skeeter Pee or Dragons Blood would be your best bet to tide you over till what you make has a chance to age some.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/dangerdaves-dragon-blood-wine-41825/

I've not made Skeeter Pee but there is a whole forum on it. Similar to Dragons Blood but without added fruit so a bit easier to make.

Hope this helps

Pam in cinti

I was thinking of doing a premium kit (Shiraz and maybe some white, not typically big on white wines) in July so it has some time to age, but will it really make a huge difference if I drink my econo wine shortly after the 4 weeks?

I would probably let the wine sit a little extra time in a carboy, making it a 6-8 week kit. This allows better settling of any sediment, and the wine will improve slightly. After bottling, allow the wine to sit for a month at least, due to bottling shock. How much longer to wait? Tough to say. Most Canadians drink these wines after the 4 week period, and they are still alive. Will the wine improve a LOT over a year? I really doubt it for this particular kit. But it will take a while (I presume) to drink all 60 bottles, so pay close attention and see what you think. If possible, hide a few bottles (say 6 of each) for a year, and see what you think.

Steve

Welcome fellow Winnipeggers! Woot! :db

As far as Costco kits, drink them while you age something better :)

I've loved the Showcase Sterling kits as a mid-range, and have recently bottled the Malbec-Shiraz. Knocked my socks off! Moonshiners and WineSense both carry them.

Welcome again, and if you every get the interest in experimenting with 1 gallon batches, check of the 'Wine of the Month Club' threads. We're all newbies, and having a great time!

What do you mean leave it longer in the carboy? I can just let it age in there like an extra couple weeks kind of thing?

Super cool that there is another Winnipeger on here! Rayway or any of the Canadians have you tried any of the premium wines? I am looking for a nice Shiraz for Christmas, fine with any price tag but want to be able to buy it here in Canada.

Also 1 Gallon Wine batches?

Thanks everyone for being so welcoming!!! :h

Arguably the best kits are the ones that come with grape skin packs. Any of the wine supply stores in your area will have the full range of kits from inexpensive 4 week kits ($35-45) to ultra premium 8 week kits ($150-170). When you get into the bigger kits you have to be able to let them mature a bit 12-24 months for them to really shine. I like the Winery Series from RJ Spagnols for good value for the money. Most stores run specials on their kits so you can save an extra 10-20 per kit. If they dont, look around for one that does.

I found the En Primeur Australia Shiraz from spagnols to be very nice aged but you would be looking at christmas 2015 not 2014.

Welcome and enjoy the ride.

cheers

Found these on the spagnols website in your area. Other companies would have stores as well.

1. GRAPE & GRAIN
    726 OSBORNE STREET
    WINNIPEG, MB, R3L 2C2
    Phone: 204-257-6770
    Email: [email protected]
  2. http://www.grapeandgrain.ca/
  1. HOP & VINE
    3613 ROBLIN BOULEVARD
    WINNIPEG, MB, R3R 0C6
    Phone: 204-896-1359
    Category: RJS Craft Winemaking Academy
  2. THE WINE BARIL
    591 ARCHIBALD STREET
    WINNIPEG, MB, R2J 0X7
    Phone: 204-237-3936
    http://thewinebaril.com/

Unfortunately, I have not tried the premium kits yet - working my way up!
Hoping to get one this year.

Most of the kits others chat about on here are available at our wine shops though. Check out the reviews on the site.

Hi Jocelyn, i agree with Pam that you should try Skeeter Pee or Dragons Blood. Saving money on these helps me save for the higher end kits which can taste amazing. The higher end kits often need extra ageing in the carboy, just make sure there's only a small amount of head-space for oxygen if you go down this path. My first newbie mistake was to overlook this and i did loose wine to oxidation :(

Latest posts

Back