Gravity not dropping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmaverick

Junior
Reaction score
Making a fruit base and and the specific gravity started at 1.090 in stage 1. It is supposed to drop to 1.040 in 5 or so days. It's been 10 days now and the gravity has only dropped to 1.088. What needs to be done to get to the 1.040? It's almost as if the fermentation did not start after adding the yeast. The temp of the must is within the proper range.

Welcome Jwmaverick and please provide moredetails on the actual recipe or kitthat you used including the type of yeast and how you prepared the yeast.

Thanks

I'm just a beginner, but it sounds like you yeast didn't start working, don't do anything till someone with more expierience posts, but maybe something stopped the yeast, PH or acid level? or the yeast was not good to start, I would check the PH with a test paper strip to see if it is within the proper range, then take a cup of warm water 90-100 degree's tablespoon of sugar and put the yeast in and proof it, it will start foaming if it's OK, then mix it into the batch. It should have bubbled out of the airlock after the first day. I use an airlock on my primary, some people don't.

The Fruit wine base was the Vinter's Harvest Peach. I'm making the 3 gallon reciepe and the yeast I used was the Red Star = Cote des Blancs. The instructions stated to add the Peaches, water, sugar, acid blend, yeast nutrient, peptic enzyme, wine tannin and Campden tabletsand let sit overnight for the SO2 to release. The next day, I sprinkled the yeast on top of the must with no stirring. Then I gently stirred each day after that as directed.

Did you see any indication as to the fermentation starting at all...foaming or release of C02? Was the recipe supplied by the manufacturer of the peach product? May be a silly question but I will ask anyway....did you add any sorbate to the must?

A easy answer as towhy it didn't ferment would be that the yeast was not any good. I always re hydrated my yeast before pitching and you can tell if it doesn't look good.....plus I think it gives it an extra boost and quicker start to fermentation.Edited by: masta

Did not see any fermentation process at all and the reciepe was supplied by the supplier. No sorbate was added since it goes in after the racking. Never made it that far. So it sounds like I need to add another batch of yeast to get the fermentation to start. This is my first attempt in making a wine that is not in a kit form.

Well, I think too little emphasis has been placed on temperature. What is "proper temperature?" In any case, it should be around 63-73 degrees optimally.

Sorbate should not be added til the end anyway.

How many Campden tablets? That could also be the culprit.

Was going to be my exact question, Martina.

How much campden was aded to the must?

Get some fresh yeast for now, either Lalvin K1V-1116 or EC-1118.

The temperature stays a constant 73 degrees. The receipe called for 3 campden tablets which I used 3/8 teaspoon of Potassium Metabisufite (1/8 teaspoon per gallon). And I'm making 3 gallons.

Way too much sulphite! Ok this is what we're gonna do:

Start stirring now, very vigorously. Get some Lalvin EC-118 yeast. You can make a starter exactly as Maui Joe instructed through those links. I never have a problem just sprinkling it on, even in high sulphite conditions, but you need to know how to make a yeast starter anyhow.

I think after this it will take off like a rocket. Get busy.

smiley4.gif

No, just trust the EC-1118. Back up what you read here with some good books.

smiley36.gif

Yes, I agree with reading, reading, reading. That is almost more important than sanitizing.
smiley2.gif

Just kidding, of course.

You gotta "Grab the bull by the horns" my friend would say everytime he faced a challenge...I have always remembered those words!Edited by: Maui Joe

That reminds me of a saying my dad CONSTANTLY says (to the point you wanna shake him):

"There are no problems in life: Only challenges."

Currently he's stuck on the phrase "Perception is reality." Not a good thing when you're stressed out.

This is the second time this has happened with one of the Fruit Bases. How much sulfite should I tell future customers to use for a 3-gallon batch and a 5-gallon batch?

Country, would you like to see the instructions that come on the can? If you want to play with one, let me know and I will send you one for research purposes. Just tell me what flavor you want and what you need.

You have all been a great help on this topic. Thank You!

It sounds to me George like a suphite issue if the instructions gave that much to throw in. Is this one (1) of the items I have coming as well?

Maui,

Yes, it is. One of the customers with this problem got some more yeast and followed my stuck fermentation procedures and it is now fermenting away. I think it is a sulfite issue, but I would defer to CW as to how much you should add. CW?

Latest posts

Back