Grapefruit Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Port

Reaction score
My fiancée and I were at the grocery store over the weekend and they were having a sale on grapefruit, buy one bag, get one free. She says to me, “can’t we make wine out of those?”. I told here we could and ended up with 24 nice, sweet grapefruit in our shopping cart.
2006-01-17_050931_CIMG2242.JPG

We peeled 21 of them and removed all but the sweet pulp sacks inside which took forever and was a sticky job. But we finally got through it and have about 3 and a half gallons in the primary now. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

<O:p>
2006-01-17_051032_CIMG2243.JPG
</O:p>

<O:p>Followed the recipe from Jack Kellers site for a Semi-Sweet wine. I made a yeast starter when I made the must, pitched it 12 hours later and I had action in less then 12 hours. </O:p>

<O:p>OG: 1.092</O:p>

<O:p>Yeast: Latvin K1V-1116</O:p>Edited by: Big Port

Oh! That looks so good my mouth is watering! I'm hoping to empty a carboy so I can start a grapefruit wine soon. It's on my goal list that I wrote up last night. I topped my goal list with keeping better records!
smiley5.gif

peterCooper said:
So the yeast tolerates high acidity I guess. did you take an acidity readin?

I guess it does? I hate to admit it, but I haven't been doing the acid test. Is it something I can adjust further into the process?

Yes it is and it really is a matter of taste....if you sweeten after fermentation it will offset some of the high acidity.

Latest posts

Back