Grape ripening in northern Wisconsin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sitting on 15 brix for my Marquette here in Ontario. Verona is only at 13.

I've not had much experience forecasting harvest dates, but is 1brix/week gain a reasonable guess? If so I'm looking at picking in mid October 😅

I picked about a cup of grapes from throughout the vineyard today. After mashing and straining the Marquette juice is at 20 Brix or sg 1.083, not bad for a whole vineyard snapshot. The itasca is at 22 Brix or sg 1.092. Didn’t check ph as the juice is very tart so no need. Not much (any)change but I wanted to get an accurate reading before the coming hot weather.

Last edited:
I picked about a cup of grapes from throughout the vineyard today. After mashing and straining the Marquette juice is at 20 Brix or sg 1.083, not bad for a whole vineyard snapshot. The itasca is at 22 Brix or sg 1.092. Didn’t check ph as the juice is very tart so no need. Not much (any)change but I wanted to get an accurate reading before the coming hot weather.
I live in Southern Minnesota and checked my Marquette grapes two days ago. Brix was at 25 which is great. But the ph was at 2.73. I'm hoping that the ph will move up soon so I can grab them before the birds and the yellow jackets get too busy

Attachments

• 20230828_113041.jpg
    20230828_113041.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back