RJ Spagnols Grand Cru

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vernsgal

Just me
Reaction score
I opened this wine today and found activity!
It's a GC bottled July 2014. I backsweetened to 1.004 for hubby. I added sorbate before sugar.Has gone down to 1.001
I opened 5 others from same batch and found nothing but normal. Why one and not others?

20160719_100128.jpg

That's weird. Did you try rinsing out that glass and pouring again? Maybe glass wasn't adequately cleaned and rinsed?

It was bubbling in the bottle.That's why I poured some into the beaker.It kinda had a smoke to it when I uncorked and then very actively bubbling.Kinda like a soda

I would be nervous too! Honestly I don't think there is anything anyone can say that will make you feel better. All it takes is a couple of yeast cells that went dormant waking up and starting to chomp again. If one out of 5, maybe 2 or 3 out of 12? How many did you bottle? If it were me, as crazy worrier that I am, I would not sleep well until I pulled all the corks to check. Worst case you'll get to drink a couple fizzy grand cru, best case you just need to recork right away.

I know a lot of folks say as long as you put in the sorbate you are good to bottle, but I always wait a week or 2 post sorbate before I add sugar, and then again a couple more weeks before bottling. Remember I said I was a worrier. OK I'm paranoid too.

Pam in cinti

I'm somewhat a worrier too Pam.I think there's about 1 1/2 dozen tucked away.I actually added the sorbate almost a month before sugar and I make a simple syrup with sorbate as well.I then waited 2 months before bottling. I think I'm going to have to pull them all and check.I'm just curious what would cause one and not all

I made a batch of wine last year that didn't get sufficiently degassed. I solved the problem by using my hand pump, with the rubber stoppers that came in the Vino Pump kit, to degas each bottle individually just prior to consumption. It worked but the wine seemed to oxidize more quickly, thereafter.

Your problem seems worst than mine since you may have an active fermentation. In your case, I would remove all the corks and then re-cork the ones that aren't actively fermenting. The others, you'll have to stabilize with sorbate and re-bottle. Unfortunately, You risk oxidizing the wine with all this.

Thanks Ron. I don't think adding more sorbate after they're already fermenting will do any good. If I find any others, I will place in whatever bottle holds quantity ,stick under airlock and re-ferment.
Then I'll add more sorbate and sweetener before re-bottling. I'm hoping the one bottle is just a fluke since the other 5 were fine.

Back