RJ Spagnols Grand Cru International Nebbiolo (Barolo)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manelson

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. This is my first post as I have just joined but I have been lurking for a few months :) I originally made kits in the 90s, however started again last spring. I must say the kits are so much better than the old days. I have built up abt a 350 bottle inventory so far. I needed some wine to drink fast so I made a number of the Cheeky Monkey kits which I found surprisingly good for everyday consumption. My favorite kit so far is the Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone. I tried the first bottle at the 8 month point and it is still quite young but wow I could taste the potential. I am partial to the Italian kits.

So I have just purchased the Grand Cru International Nebbiolo. Has anyone had any experience with this one? It is kind of a strange guy as it is only 12L but does come with a dried grape pack. It just went into the primary today. I made a couple minor tweaks, extra oak and put the dried grapes directly in, skipping the bag.

Thanks Mike

MIKE, welcome to the forum. I too have made the CC Amorone, 3 times now. It really is its best at 3-5 yrs old, so don't rush into drinking it too soon. We have also made your Nebbilo 3 times, first time it was called Barollo. This wine is really good at 18 mo, so again don't rush it. We also added oak & put the skins right into the fermentor. I wrap their bag around my siphon wand when pulling the wine out of the carboy. Works real well with my vacuum pump, a lot slower with normal siphon. But I feel you get better extraction with the skins floating loose. Roy ps this Nebbilo is my wife's favorite wine, tied with the Amarone for me.

Last edited:
I have one of those Barolos at about 15 mo. I made it 'ripassa' style by starting fermentation on the gross lees of the CC Showcase Amarone. I also added some aging tannins. I really enjoy this wine. I could have used more tannin but the flavors are outstanding. Worth the effort.

Thanks guys for all the info. Glad to see this kit has great potential provided I cellar it long enough -)
Cheers
Mike

Back