Gilda Corker SNAFU

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringer

Reaction score
I found out at the worst possible time that one DOES NOT WANT TO USE THE GILDA CORKER.

The worst possible time being my first bottling experience.

Ended up returning all the wine back to the carboy and re-installing the airlock. Then, I sent an email inquiry to George which was promptly answered. Afterwards I called George for additional expert advise.

Seems thereappears to bean inherent design flaw in the gilda corker that prevents a #9 cork from being inserted more than half-way into a bottle.Followingadvise from George, I ordered #8 corks and this sort of fixed the problem. I truly believe it would not have been possible for me to corkthe bottleswithout assistance of another person when using the gilda.Being a Newbie, I would suspect that most experienced winemakers already already know about the gilda. It is my intent of this posting thatmaybe I can help prevent an uninformed Newbie the same aggravation and hassle.

BTW: I would like to convey my appreciation to George for his timely, expert advise.It made the difference between a successful bottling and a total waste of time and expense -- and probablythe decision to never again attempt home winemaking. Additionally, George told me to return the gilda for exchange to a recommended corker and he wouldadjustany difference in price and reimbursement for my shipping expense. Customer service does not get any better than this!

George's customer service is the best I've ever found or heard of!

Pete

Floor corker the way to go We have 2 people when using
gilda but only one needed with floor corker and i think it would
cork a 2 by 4 The floor coker allows syntheic and the 5 + year
long corks.

Latest posts

Back