fruit flies on grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesportster02

Reaction score
hi a friend gave me 5 gallon bucket of grapes but it was full of fruit flies, will these be ok to make into wine or will it turn to vinegar? thanks for any advice

Wash them off and go for it.

Now get rid of fruit flies. Use a vacuum cleaner, sticky fly tape, glass with 2 ounces of wine in it then add 1 drop of liquid dish soap. Let the drop fall off your finger into the glass. Do not move glass. It will be full of dead flies next day.

ya i got rid of them as soon as i got the bucket. i cleaned and destemed them. put them in the freezer till i found out if they are usable. thank you

Wash them off and go for it.

Now get rid of fruit flies. Use a vacuum cleaner, sticky fly tape, glass with 2 ounces of wine in it then add 1 drop of liquid dish soap. Let the drop fall off your finger into the glass. Do not move glass. It will be full of dead flies next day.

At this time of the year always get fruit flies around my compost pale I have on the cupboard, "although always clean on the outside and with a sealed lid" I read this post earlier and tried it with 2 ounces of blueberry juice and the drop of dish soap within a 1/2 an hour they were all dead in the glass! thanks djrockinsteve BEST TIP EVER!

Latest posts

Back