First try

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtyler71

Junior
Reaction score
I am new to wine making and am trying it for the first time. Started with a sg of 1.090 now i am at .990. It has a mlky color and not sure why can any one help??????

Shayne

give us a breakdown of your recipe and we can provide help from there, and welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum! Like Dend78 said, let us know what you made/give us a recipe and let us know what has been added to the wine up to this point. Sounds like you have alot of particles in suspension. Depending on what you are making and what your final goal is with the wine (Do you want it sweet, dry, sparkling, etc.)will determine what people will advise you to do with your wine. ~Kate

Hey, welcome to the forum!!!!

A recipe could help, but if it turned milky a couple of days after pitching the yeast it is probably just the yeast in suspension. The must generally turns milky looking with a tint of the fruit juice while it ferments. At SG 0.990 it should be finished fermenting and ready to degas to aid in clearing.

Ok i used 5 cans of frozen grape concentrate 1 litter of grape juice 5 # of sugar 5 gallons of water 2 packages of red star yeast... would like a dry wine I took a little sample and taste ok little yeast taste but not bad for first time

With the yeast taste and the color, I bet it is just the suspended yeast. It will settle out over time on its own or you could use a clarifier to speed up the clearing.

okay still in primary? or is it in a secondary container carboy or whatever? like whiskers said time and possibly some sparkolloid will clear it up, i would rack it to a clean vessel (carboy or whatever) and degas it and see what that does for you.

siphon it or filter it you wanna leave the lees in the bottom

Latest posts

Back