First Skeeter Pee Attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRLFD448

Reaction score
Good Morning All!-

First attempt at S.P. is underway! The girlfriend is very excited about just being able to tell people she is drinking pee!

Followed the directions as closely as I could last night making the batch, wound up with S.G. of 1.06. I am using a cabernet slurry from a CC kit. Will add that tonight or tomorrow night and keep updated.

Thanks for the recipe!

Good luck! I followed the directions and everyone loves it. Just tell them it's more like lemon wine and not a carbonated drink. Had a couple funny faces at 1st try then they loved it!

Good luck! I followed the directions and everyone loves it. Just tell them it's more like lemon wine and not a carbonated drink. Had a couple funny faces at 1st try then they loved it!

Thats what I am trying to tell them now. Do you typically carbonate yours?

I've only made 1 batch so far and I don't think I would want it carbonated. It was just an expectation of the people that drank it that said they were expecting something like Mike's Hard Lemonade. It's not - it's clear and more wine like.
Next batch will have something else done to it - like cranberry or some other fruity lemon concoction.

Some do carbonation. I have none of those supplies and like it just as it is! You just can't go wrong. Aged, it takes on a whole new personality... I just love it!

Debbie

Things are going well with the Skeeter and just a couple more questions came up:

1- I started with SG of 1.06..should I wait until 1.04 or 1.05 as the directions state?

2- How long does this typically take. It is not that I am impatient, I just do not want it developing the Hydrogen Sulfide problem. After 24 hours I added the slurry and it took off immediately. Monday I made it, Tuesday I added the slurry, and it has been happily bubbling ever since. It seems to me it is only Thursday so I may be jumping the gun on taking the reading tonight...suggestions?

I let mine l it was dry then racked, cleared, stabilized and after 2 weeks sweetened. Then bottled about a week later.
Basically following the directions. They work!

I often forget about it until it's almost dry...

as long as it's not foaming over... you're good to put it under airlock.

Debbie

It is under airlock now...I followed the directions and it has been actively fermenting under airlock for about 2 days now. The next step is to wait until it gets to 1.05 SG and add additional lemon juice, nutrient, etc. That is the step I am on.

Question is since I started at 1.06 instead of Lon's recipe of 1.07, should I add this additional stuff at 1.04 or 1.05?

It's not that fussy... either one will be fine. I don't put an airlock on until the whole thing is around 1.020... sometimes it's lower before I notice it's ready.

Debbie

I said I would post a picture...1st rack of S.P. with cabernet slurry. It is literally like a hot pink magenta color.

The picture does not do it justice but here is my first batch of S.P.

sp.jpg

Is that much headspace ok? I often worry about that, even though I purge with argon...

I think as long as its producing CO2, it will protect the SP, but I too, would rather have a much smaller head space.

Really? Then I will NOT be posting pictures of my cabernet after racking! It has a bunch of head space. The guy at the LHBS told me not to worry about headspace so much.

In the early phases when there is still bubbling going on, it's ok. First racking needs to have minimal head space to decrease oxidation.

Debbie

Really? Then I will NOT be posting pictures of my cabernet after racking! It has a bunch of head space. The guy at the LHBS told me not to worry about headspace so much.

When I make mine, I don't worry much about head space. While it's still fermenting, all that space is filled with CO2. I try to leave the airlock on and not remove it unless I have to. When it's done, I add the stabilization ingredients and fining agent. I like having this head space available because the addition of sugar to sweeten it will take up this volume.

Cheers, looks like you're on your way to a tasty batch.

I don't bottle mine and drink it as quick as you guys... so it's more vulnerable! I make "delicate" pee.

Debbie

Hahah....It is funny you mention that. As I used a cabernet slurry and the batch during racking was coming through the tubing as a vivid magenta color, the girlfriend exclaimed that it should be called P.P.

I was puzzled at first, then realized she meant Pink Pee.....I like PP..

New Question

Alright I am almost to the backsweeten steps of the recipe...very excited and it has really cleared over the last two weeks.

The final step is to add 6 cups of sugar and wait two weeks to be sure no new fermentation begins. Have people used non-fermentable sugars to avoid this? Splenda? I would hate to see the batch begin new fermentation.

Latest posts

Back