RJ Spagnols First kit on the way

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrnbrd

Reaction score
I ordered the blackberry merlot for my first wine. Is there anyone who has tried this one? Tell me what you think.
smiley4.gif
I am very excited.

Haven't tried it, but I HAVE felt that great feeling waiting for your first kit to be delivered!!

I have a Amarrone and Piesporter on the way now from George and I can't wait!!
smiley4.gif

uavwmn said:
Haven't tried it, but I HAVE felt that great feeling waiting for your first kit to be delivered!!

I have a Amarrone and Piesporter on the way now from George and I can't wait!!
smiley4.gif

Uavwmn - How was the Piesporter? Just pitched the yeast.

Jim

The Blackberry Merlot is a great kit.

Have made the BB/Merlot kit six times following the kit directions and most people luv
this stuff, my mom and brother consider this kit their favorite. It is
better chilled really cold as it is very sweet with lower
alcohol(7-8%). For me these kits ferment completely dry to 0.990 on my
hydrometer before adding the flavor pack. Its drinkable right away so
a good fast kit for summer without much aging. My dad spikes his with vodka as he likes sherry so that is the easiest way to increase the alcohol.

As an experiment: on another two kits I have bulk aging right now added
two pounds of white suger dissolved in warm water to increase the alcohol content, and two pounds of
sunmaid raisins(added whole) to increase body at the start. Stir/Mix daily in a figure 8 motion for the first week to punch down
the raisins and mix it all up to ensure a complete fermentation. Attached lid with airlock day seven and let it ferment for three
weeks completely to dry in the pail SG 0.990 with
the whole raisins. Then day 20ish take a strainer and scoop out the floating
raisins, then rack to carboy. The raisins make wine making much
messier and are not required for this kit. I bent a small metal
strainer to help filter the raisins when racking with the amazing 1/2"
autosiphon. Then follow kit directions for chemicals and flavor pack. By increasing the alchohol this kit will require some aging to smooth out and also allow for longer aging if it lasts that long.

Remember you will add the flavor pack so need room in the carboy for this.

To keep it simple on my next BB/Merlot kit will increase the suger level to four pounds and leave out the raisins. Might even leave out the suger to keep it simple as this kit is good the way it is.

Back