First batch of apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7munkee

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here (first post) and this is my first try at wine making.

4 1/2 gallons grape apple juice
5# sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
4 tsp pectoc enzyme
1 pckt rouge yeast
1.090 sg

8/6/20

Added 4 cups sugar 8/10

First rack 8/15

added 2 qts water

air lock placed

racked 8/22

Added 5 crushed camden tablets 8/23

Racked 8/25

Been aging in carboy till I can find affordable bottles. Taste tested 9/24 and it warms up my belly like brandy.

I now realize I should have used Blanc yeast but I am married to this project now so...

Last edited:
I used apple juice. Was thinking of using grape juice next. I had a stroke a couple years ago and its hard to concentrate sometimes.:slp

Since you are already down the road with the Apple wine keep it going but I would suggest for the future that you try to find some apple cider, unfiltered for your wine. It's more likely to produce a better flavor than highly processed apple juice from a store or even Canned juice concentrate.

Quick side note here. Anyone notice that the selection of frozen juice concentrates in stores are shrinking drastically? Instead they are selling reconstituted juice in bottles that you can tell have a lower fruit content and they use 'filler juices' to reduce their costs. At the same time they still call those 'beverages' by the name the want us to beleive makes up the majority of the drink. Ok I'll stop ranting.
It's shame as that was a great source for juices like White Grape juice to use for both back sweetening, and initial batch prep when you have a slight shortage of the fruit you are using.

How bad is it likely to be from using rouge yeast instead of blanc yeast?

White wine with red wine yeast?

I have two 5-gallon carboys and I am going to try red wine from grape juice as soon as I can find bottles and empty one of my carboys.

I doubt that you will notice a difference unless you have an excellent sense of taste and smell AND you have a batch of the same juic

Quick side note here. Anyone notice that the selection of frozen juice concentrates in stores are shrinking drastically? Instead they are selling reconstituted juice in bottles that you can tell have a lower fruit content and they use 'filler juices' to reduce their costs. At the same time they still call those 'beverages' by the name the want us to beleive makes up the majority of the drink. Ok I'll stop ranting.
It's shame as that was a great source for juices like White Grape juice to use for both back sweetening, and initial batch prep when you have a slight shortage of the fruit you are using.
YES! All I can find here (Southern Alberta) for frozen is "punch", which is a bunch of filler juices and high fructose corn syrup. No Welch's, or any pure juice, except maybe orange. Very frustrating. The local place that sells wine and beer making supplies does sell red and white grape juice concentrate, but they charge a LOT for it. Notice I didn't call it a home brewing store- they focus more on BBQs and hot tubs, and ridiculously overpriced brewing supplies. (rubber bung for 5 gal carboy is over $6) :( Thank goodness for online shopping. I like to support local, but gouging makes me pretty bitter.

Back