First batch ever (making it from grapes)...assorted questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaa...I think we are 'geeks', not nerds. its a much more favourable term!

Ok another possibly dumb question, I see references to K-bicarb, K-carb, Ca-bicarb, Ca-carb for use in acidity reduction...are any of these adequate? just not sure which I will find on my quest this evening.

EDIT: Just took the easy way out and ordered a few goodies online from some place relatively local...some K-bicarb, Pectic Enzyme, Fermax, and wine tannin (though I'm not sure how to measure astringency...just know I love big bold alcoholic fruity tannic wines, so might fiddle with the tannin to do what the skins/oak can't). This is getting more complicated and involved than I expected...I like that!!

Last edited:
WELL...another attempt at acid test gave me 1.2...probably about the same as yesterady. Yes, I had to re-fill the syringe. Still not sure if I'm nailing the colour change, doesn't seem like a terribly accurate way to measure, but oh well. Potassium Bicarbonate on its way, at least that should have some limited benefit.

SG topped out at about 1.04 with today's tests, so added 1.5 lbs or so of sugar, dissolved into a bit of water...should bring it up to 1.10 or thereabouts, I hope. My fermentation container is about 90% full, a little worried that its way too full so will have to remove some of the must I think. After K-bicarb is added monday night I'll take it out of the fridge, bring it up to temp, add pectic enzyme, pitch yeast, add yeast, add some nutrient, cover with cheesecloth, and let 'er rip!

Quick and dirty formula for adding sugar:
To raise 1 gal. of water 1 Bx takes .0834 lbs sugar.

Your starting SG of 1.040 is about 10 Bx
I'd recommend going to 21 Bx= 1.087

That's a desired rise of 11 Bx, so for a gallon that is 11 x .0834 = .9174 lbs.

I've found this pretty accurate for adjusting starting Bx.

Given the acidity level and the fact that I like tannic wine i figured why not take it to 24 brix/1.1, hence the 1.5 lbs. added. Still doesn't taste overly sweet to me!

More worried about bringing down the acidity at this time, and determining the amount of oak chips and tannin to end up with what might be a balanced product.

OK...so with addition of sugar to get up to 1.09/1.1, volume got up to 2 gallons, so transferred must to 5-gallon pail, adjusted acidity, added tannin and oak, tasted and it was very delicious...added yeast nutrient, and about an hour later threw in rehydrated RC-212. Cheesecloth on top, waiting game begins...will update if anything seems to be going awry.

Latest posts

Back