Fining Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringer

Reaction score
I'm making a 1 gallon batch of Muscadine. According to my isinglass bottle: Add 1 tsp. with 5 gallons. Since I'm only making one gallon, would 1/4 tsp. be the correct amount of isinglass for fining?

Also, the usual 5 or 6 gallon batch of wine calls for 2 1/2 tsp. of potassium sorbate. Would 1/2 tsp. be the correct amount here?

Lastly, the K-meta package says 1/8 tsp. creates 100 ppm in one gallon of wine. How much k-meta to add when adding the sorbate? Or would1campden tablet, crushed, be correct?

I am using the recipe from the "recipees" tabat this website and it originally calls for one campden tab in the must. I am using juice that was extracted with a steam juicer and pasturized the juice in thejars after extraction so I did not add the campden tablet to the must at the start.

the biggest problem I see with making 1 gallon batches of muscadine is, when it's finished, you only have one nights worth of drinking.
smiley19.gif

I believe one tsp PER gallon on the isinglass, sorbate the same, one tsp per gal according to my bottle, the campden is what I use, one tablet per gallon also.

I see your point exactly, Hoss.Actually, I'm making the 1 gallon batches to experiment and tweak the wine until I make the one I like the best. And that may go on forever.
smiley36.gif

Hoss said:
the biggest problem I see with making 1 gallon batches of muscadine is, when it's finished, you only have one nights worth of drinking.
smiley19.gif

Amen Hoss, Amen! I just bottled 4 gal batches that won't make it past Thursday.

Latest posts

Back