WineXpert Fining agenst in kits the same?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
My first kit is not a Winexpert
smiley9.gif
(but I will be getting a Green Apple Riesling in the future). My question revolves around racking and fining agents. My instructions say to rack and leave the lee. I'm torn between the advice to follow the instruction and the advice to stir the lees when fining. I've read the article from the newsletter from someone who did both and clearly (pun intended) the stirring produced better/faster results. My kit contains Isinglass like the article mentions. So should I follow the instruction and rack, should I stir and rack, or should I rack a little aggressivly and get some of the lees?

I would follow the instructions. That's usually the best thing to do. I have seen Isinglass and Chitosan used as fining agents. Both work well without racking first. I have a suspicion that the end result will not be too different either way but if things do go wrong, following the instructions means that the kit manufactuere has some responsibility.

Peter

I concur with Peter and the manufacturers have spend a great amount of time developing their kits and instructions to provide consistent results time after time.

Always, always, always follow the kit manufacturer's instructions!!!!!!!!!
As an aside, Winexpert uses Isinglass in their whites and Chitosan in their reds.

Isinglass is an extract of sturgeon fish that works as a fining agent. Chitosan is an extract of shellfish (actually a sugar and NOT a protein, so there is no worry of alergic reaction) that also works as a fining agent. Isinglass is considered a very gentle fining agent that takes a longer time than most to drop out sediment, while chitosan is a faster agent much like gelatin that work almost overnight. Chitosan, when combined with Kieselsol (a silicate based fining agent) works even faster and it commonly called "Super-Kleer KC". The Kieselsol takes out all positive charged particles, while the Chitosan takes out all negatively charged particles, and typically will clear a wine in 1-2 days.

Latest posts

Back