Filling in 3/5 of the property

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 1.5 acres of my 2.5 that I am getting ready to start putting in fruit trees, berries and grape vines. So along with that come some questions, but first the list of items that will be ordered. Keep in mind some of these will not be purchased until fall or not even until next spring so there is plenty of time for adjustments and prep work to be done.

The list
Trees: all trees will be one each unless otherwise noted
Moniqui Apricot
Plumcot Apricot

Red Haven Peach (2)
Elberta Peach

Morris Plum

Tennessee Mountain Fig (??? this one might change to a more local tree)

Black Tartarian Cherry (2)
Stella Sweet Cherry (2)

Bachuus Noir Black Mulberry

Vines:
Merlot (10)
Zinfandel (10)
Red Seedless (5) (this one is to keep the kids out of the others)
Blackberries (10+) half with be thornless the other half normal

Bushes
Blueberry (alreay have 17 will be adding up to 20+ more)
Raspberries (found some that I think will work in my area)

So now you know the list of items here comes the questions

For the grapes,
What would be the best trellis system to use?
Is there any special thing you (opinions) would do special for them
Knowing that there will be trees around them which is the best side to have the grapes on, ie the north, south, east or west side of the trees?

For the trees,
Would you group them or separate them by types? ie, peach - apricot - plum - and so on OR peach - peach - peach - apricot - apricot - plum - and so on.
Do you think that pruning them to stay low growing trees is beter that allowing them to grow upward towards there max height? thinking about harvesting time.
What others do you think would be a good addition to this collection? (no citrus or pear trees)
What do think the best time to plant them would be if different than the late fall beginning of dormancy stage?

I will keep everyone up to date with pictures as things start to develope. With in the next couple of weeks I will be laying out the location of the grapes and blackberry trellises so I will start putting up pictures up with that.

Ok drop some opinions and or commits.

PW

Mods you can delete this post as it has turned out to be a duplicate due to it not posting when I originally posted it, now it shows up.

nice planting going on there! sounds like what we are doing. we don't have alot of land, so we went with more small type plants (berries, currants, etc.) than trees.

nothing like going out in the yard and thinking, "hmmm. what wine will i make first" :)

Back